Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
Hi all, I have a confirmation for an assessment internship from a T3 firm for April which I received a day or two ago. The tricky part is it's within their M&A Gen Corp team (of which I've had no read exposure) and the firm is known to push good amount of work to interns.

While the work to interns is a good part I'm very confused as to how do I prepare for the opportunity? What kind of documents will I be summarising/ editing for an M&A and in general the basics of the practice area.

Request to associates or experienced interns to share their wisdom in the comments to this wrt how do I prepare my best and what sources/ web sources I can rely to read about the basics so that I'm not clueless at my internship. Treat this as a make or break opportunity for your younger brother please. I need this job for the family than me at this moment without going into the details of my situation. I shall be thankful to all.
Guy I'm dead serious here please. I wanted to take things easy at law school and prepare for judiciary but my father had a steel business (marketing) was shot by goons in Jhansi recently. My mom is a homemaker and I need this internship to work out for me. With me left with a week to prepare please let me know on how I can prepare better. Please.
Have you done your Corp law course? Revise your notes or a standard commentary and be up to date with the case laws. Ditto for the competition act especially the part on regulation of combinations. Some familiarity with SEBI takeover and listing regulations will also be useful. What you need will depend on the exact work that you give but these are basics that you should be prepared for.
Hey it's MORE important to show via your behavior that you're sincere and willing to put in the work. Ofcourse you need to know the basics - go through companies act, there's a primer by NDA on it available online; sarfaesi act basics, etc

Besides that

- Make sure you are prompt

- Ask for work

- Follow up on the work you've submitted and ask if there's anything more that you should do

- If a senior is working and it's time fot everyone to leave, ask that person if they want your help, leave if they say no

- Try taking work from senior associates and principal associates. Figure out who all are in the respective partner's team and impress everyone in that team. But make sure that you concentrate on a SA or PA or an A3>. A1s and A2 have near to no power to help with a PPO. Don't piss them off, be in their good books though. Also, give equal importance to all work that's given to you. Don't just keep an A0s work aside to do a SA's work. Do it chronologically and keep all associates well informed about when you'll be able to start their work. Moreover, I used to tell them that I'll inform them when I start their work to make sure they don't assume I have started this work when I am still working on a previous assignment.

- Wear proper formals and come on time

- Look confident and try to form a rapport

This is all I can think of right now, all the best