Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Are there any instances of Non-NLU students making it to Magic Circle firms? If so, then how did they do it? Please give some guidance to a 3rd year Non-NLU student from a state university :]
I have seen many students get into good and even top USA colleges from private universities. So, my advice will be do a LLM from USA ki top university. Talk to some Indians who are studying there. You will find many Non NLU grads in these top firms in USA.

The only issue is even after an LLM you might be forced to come back to India because of visa issues (I saw one Columbia grad Susanah Naushad coming back to work for Khaitan, Singapore after LLM from Columbia and working 1y with a top firm there). So, contact these people to get a better feel of the LLM and the visa situation.
OP here. I should have been more specific, by magic circle I meant prestigious UK law firms. I have no interest in US firms as they don't have a work life balance.

So in such a situation will you still advise for a US LLM or a UK LLM? Or should I take some other steps like doing a BCL/LLB equivalent from UK?
You already know that US law firms don't have work-life balance? How many have you worked for?
I think both has value, cause many US firms are based out of UK more specifically London.

But UK is cheaper than US, I think cost of studying in US is twice, min 1 cr.

The only benefit is you can be NY qualified, as for SQE you dont need to do an llm from UK.

But do from a good institute thats all that matters
Yes, there had been a guy from a non-NLU who made it to Linklaters, Singapore without any foreign degree.
wow good news, even i want to make a switch but dont want to waste money on an LLM
LLM route - no guarantee tho

Lateral hiring application

Seeking internships there

Training Contract route

Vacation scheme route

Networking route - seek to work for few months there as a intern/ trainee - either by cold emailing or directly meeting partners at key events.

Talk to Indians working there

It is difficult but not impossible

And don't let any mf convince u otherwise

I have worked temporarily in a top foreign based law firm. good work life balance, dignity and respect. but they are strict about their standard. not impossible to achieve. 2- 3 years of Indian law firm experience works wonders (pref tier 1 or 2). have hope in your heart. it may just take some time. does not matter if you reach there is 2/3/4/5 years. once you get there, there is no looking back.