Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
JIndal - Upgrd LLM asides, which law colleges in Delhi NCR or even North India that do not have attendance criteria fo working professionals. PLs help
Not in any Indian University other than Jindal itself. Jindal tries to bypass it by giving the same certificate to all LLM candidates, which is unethical. However, if someone from the university where you would try to apply for PhD asks for clarification, and you don't lie, then they may reject your application on that ground. I have seen that happen.
Who contested this exactly? It's absolutely accurate. UGC doesn't recognise online LLMs, so no Indian University unless an IOE can recognise those for jobs or PhD either.
Has been discussed on multiple occasions on LI, and UGC guidelines & official emails from Jindal have been posted. The gist of it is: Jindal being an IoE is not bound by UGC restrictions on online courses; being a university, it is competent to issue degrees/start courses, no explicit approval from UGC is required for any university for a new degree; the question of other universities not recognising it does not arise because (i) the degree is valid (Jindal being statutorily empowered to issue it); (ii) there is no violation of any UGC guidelines.

I'd be happy to remove the contested tag if there is you have access to any other material that shows the contrary. (any such material would be welcome, in fact, given that every Jindal LLM thread circles back to this every time)
Very simple thing to counter. Show me a single person with an online LLM degree from Jindal who is currently working as an Assistant Professor in any public university in India, or pursuing their PhD from any such university. Violation of guidelines does not arise because UGC never recognised online LLMs to begin with! By your logic, Jindal can start an online LLB degree from tomorrow despite such degrees not being valid as per BCI regulations and since it's an IOE, BCI will allow such graduates to practise law. Those 'countless mails' from JGLS people failed to show a single instance where such degree has been recognised by other universities knowingly. That's why the degrees no longer mention whether the course is online or offline. If you still think that is ethical, then you are complicit in this charade.
In my NLU, there have been applications by LLM grads from Jindal for both PhD and teaching posts. On being asked to clarify, one person had confirmed that their degree was online. They were not shortlisted for such positions. So the question that does not arise does in fact arise. Aspirants should be aware of the fact.
Mod, check the UGC list of universities that are allowed to deliver online or distant programmes in India. Jindal's name isn't there. Nor any other university for law. Which means that online LLMs are not recognised by the UGC.
IP University colleges do not have any attendance requirements. Many practising advocates and district court judges get themselves enrolled here. Other students are mostly those who are preparing for judiciary or UPSC. One only has to appear for the exams.