Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
I'm an A0 at a T1 firm and would love to hear how all the high functioning lawyers on LI make their lives easier to be able to do this time and focus intensive job.

Ideally, would love tips and trips to function at a higher level than people usually do, but anything to even avoid being inefficient etc would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
1. Keeping schedules and timesheets (Not the official one). I keep a timesheet on excel because it helps me track how I'm spending my day.

2. Keeping well named, properly sorted, highlighted / bookmarked judgements, so that refering back to them becomes easy.

3. Keeping notes of each matter so that if I have to pick up a file after a long period, I can read the notes and recap the matter fast

4. Keeping several notes for To Do Lists, Billing, Follow Ups, etc
Thank you for the response. This seems to be really efficient for disputes/litigation. Any specific tips for incoming Corp lawyers?
Wow these are all things I do as an intern too because otherwise I feel too mentally cluttured. glad to know Iā€™m developing useful habits already!
I've been around the block a bit and different things work for different folks but the following two things work best for me:

1) I split work into long focussed sessions and short agile sprints.

Long sessions for drafting / reviewing / structuring / strategic thinking. These require uninterrupted time, no social media or phone interruption and i generally do them in stretches of 1-3 hours (with very limited breaks). This only happens once a day.

Short agile sprints to respond to mails with quick fire comments / delegating / delaying / denying things. These are bulk of the day but all small small things.

2) Second thing that has worked for me best is music. I have music that helps me stay focussed (and it's not some special music / is the usual bollywood, pop etc). So that helps me a lot.