Read 37 comments as:
Filter By
https://www.barandbench.com/news/mnlu-nagpur-faculty-write-vc-paid-only-half-salary-amid-funds-crunch-at-university

This is the actual letter by the admin to the faculty and staff.
https://images.assettype.com/barandbench/2024-03/7c5335dd-8c59-4d35-be0a-09d92509fcf9/MNLU_Nagpur_Circular_January_24.pdf

State NLUs are in shambles. They are in the news for:
- NALSAR for faculty attrition and admin apathy

- NUJS for sexual harassment FIR against a senior admin officer (apparently the VC)
- GNLU for rape and sexual molestation of girl students
- NLSIU is a JGLS in the making (humongous batch size and a 25% fee jump in 1 year)
- NLSIU for sexual harassment of a female student

- And the list goes on.......

I am not even talking about lower NLUs. This is the new normal in all NLUs.
But why did things go this bad at MNLU Nagpur? Does the CJI and Justice Gavai know about all this? Wasn't MNLU Nagpur flush with funds? Law Museum or something?

There are strong murmurs that NUJS is likely to go the MNLU Nagpur way. The Associate Professor who lodged SH complaint against the VC says that she was victimized for exposing the parlous state of NUJS finances; discrepancies in how admin staff have been hired recently, including the VC appointing his nephew as his pvt secy; mismanagement of UGC funds (yet again); starting the ill-conceived BSc LLB (Hons) that has been hemorrhaging the univ finances; and lot of "creative accounting".
All of these show a high degree of financial mismanagement and corruption in the system because MNLUs (all three) have some of the highest fees among the NLUs, and WBNUJS' BSc-LLB program has steep fees as well. NLSIU jacked up its fee by 25% in just one year (a quantum of increase that is unheard of even in private universities). So NLUs are milking students, but not managing the funds properly.

This proves what we already knew - that state universities deteriorate very quickly.
Take a look at one particular appointment of a non-law associate professor at MNLU Aurangabad and things will become clear about the high degree of nepotism plaguing the NLU system. A qualified faculty was looked over by the VC (now at NALSAR) for the appointment. RTIs were filed and a petition was also made by the faculty but, of course, to no avail.

Just a case in point.
this would be the first time that a nlu is declaring bankruptcy

this is what happens when you open nlu in every mohalla :(
You are the Associate Professor who is trying to flog a dead horse over and over again. Nobody will give you any relief because none of your claims is true.
Instead of you deciding the veracity of the claims, why not allow the EC and/or the court do that.

If the claims are unfounded, why is NKC panicking? Why is he delaying EC meetings? Why is he being so paranoid with EC/FC/AC records? Why is he so upset that the police and LCC are pursuing the matter despite pressure? And why did he expend so much energy to initiate two laughable inquiries?

How is Westin working for him?
As an answer to your increasingly desperate remarks, he's doing plenty good for at least himself it seems. You are the one who seems to be losing it. Neither police nor your precious Barasat LC is giving you any relief.
I agree. EC, police and LCC Barasat haven't worked for the Associate Professor. Next EC will formalize a decision taken by the powers that be in Westin. Prepare for April 1.
Sexual Harassment of a female student in NLS? That case was taken up by the ICC and the case was found to be false. The admin did whatever they should have done in this case, i.e., take up the matter as a priority and provide support to the victim. The accused was kicked out of the hostel during the proceedings as well. At the end of the proceedings, her claims were found to be false and she had withdrawn the complaint.
Remember the VC of NLU Assam who "flashed" among other shenanigans. After initial denial, he tacitly admitted and then was allowed to run away to Karnataka. Despite police complaint nothing was ever pursued.

PIB from NUJS was another VC who was allowed to run away to Karnataka. So many VCs of NLUs are simply allowed to leave with absolutely no adverse financial, professional and/or penal consequences. And so their successors keep working/refining the entrenched corrupt system.
Can someone make public the letter/petition sent by the faculty to the GC/EC against the VC and others in the administration? It will also help other NLUs avoid taking in such persons. Remember how PIB was undone due to the joint efforts of the students of NUJS and CNLU? There is also talk that NUJS students also provided support to HNLU students when they protested against Sukhpal and finally had him evicted.

There will be a churn of VCs in the NLUs soon. It will be good to know about their "deeds" so that they don't get rehabilitated as VCs elsewhere.
VC VK is the most corrupt VC any university ever had and being assisted by the dy registrar. Actually their good time has come . People have got their kundlis now Dy Reg and ARs or anyone who assisted them in manipulation of results and gold medals will have to step down or be ready to face the inquiry.. who knows may be in jail..I repeat they all will face the music soon ... Sabka number ayega...wait and watch ,file is ready.
What if the file gets "lost", "sold" et al? If the "file" really has something solid, just put it all out and as widely as possible.
I'm a student at MNLU Nagpur. Yes the claims are true. I didn't pay 3.65lk/year for this.

VC Sir promised us placement data on within a week from our orientation date. It's been almost a year. He also made claims that ACs will be functional by 50 days. It's been almost a year. Nagpur gets so hot in March & April and we don't have ACs in our classes, hostels even after paying 3.65lks. I'm ready to pay more to set up AC in my room but they are not allowing.

My batch already has 66% reservation and most of them gets 70-80% of their total fees returned by Maharashtra Government and this is why nobody cares about the people who are not from Maharashtra.

To anyone powerful/insightful here, I'm a first year student, I don't want to get in these higher ups' radar. Please HELP us. Save us or atleast tell us how we can save ourselves.

I can assure you this is not a troll post. But I can assure you that our university is highly infested with mismanagement (and maybe corruption).

Even anyone wants to know more details I'll be glad to give them.
I appreciate your courage dear, Boycott classes with all your batchmates.. invite media with the help of locals..You students are not that weak anyway, remember NLIU Bhopal in 2018 , students literally sacked director SS Singh or DNLU also .. Believe in the power of democracy.VK is anyway a shallow man, trying to secure goldmedal for his son studying here ,but this time he won't go Scott free, Jail is the place for him.People are working behind the scenes you do your part.

organise yourself this time and be united,fix a date, call meetings with them and start a massive protest in the campus , don't let anyone enter.. Only you can save yourselves. I urge all 25 NLU students pls help us...raise this matter and take it to CJI and PMO. This VC has destroyed 3 universities Nalsar, NLU Assam and now MNLU Nagpur..God knows what's next..
Does anybody have a copy of the letter send by the faculty to the admin? The B&B article claims it contains a reference to a hunger strike by students last year. I have not heard of any such thing, so do any of you know anything about it?
Yes, few students sat in hostel the boy is in 5th year now. Check with him
Yes, students did it last year. University crushed it and so, it was not posted anywhere.
Not uni mouthpiece, but the university never crushed it. The 5th year guy was infact supported by few faculties except those in administrative ranks as they want to earn that extra allowance and but the 5th year guy never made a ruckus out of it by tarnishing uni image online.
The Audacity of MNLU VC is that he is not even talking to faculty members of the university about remaining half February salary now half of the March has also past.No clarity for March salary also.He is intimidating faculty members that why they wrote letter to him which got leaked in media . He is mentally harrassing everyone. No financial security for faculty members here Suggest the best possible solution,help!
It's a public university. Faculty can stand up to him without jeopardising their jobs and promotion. Or leave.
Are you sure that those gents and ladies are not kindergarten kids? VK is boss. Don't worry about his audacity. He was schooled excellently by Tauji in NALSAR and should the heavens fall, Tauji will help him out again. But you may want to consider the meekness, servility and complicity of the delicate darlings who crawled even without being asked to bend.
actually why should these people be paid anything? they are all useless. dont know their subject or how to teach.
As compared to you, who don't know anything either and are not even employable?
There is a lot of chatter among NUJS faculty members that the university is likely to face a similar situation soon. Although the VC (NKC) reasoned with the EC that BScLLB (Hons) and the Msc in Forensic Sciences would bring in the moolah, apparently these two courses are hemorrhaging NUJS finances along with a lot many admin positions.
This is very easily solvable. WBNUJS can increase the fees by 50% to 100% for all students.
Rubbish. The courses are working fine. No NUJS faculty will ever say anything in the open, mostly because they have no idea about University finances.