Read 27 comments as:
Filter By
Over this weekend I have been seeing a lot of posts comparing NLUs. However what was missing was that there was no quantitative analysis of student perception of the said NLUs. This post aims to fill that gap.

A quick note for any aspirant reading this: CLAT rank does not denote the so called "merit" of any student. As long as you work hard and study diligently you will always do well in the field of law.

Data Used: I utilized the data from the 3rd list for this analysis, as I believe there won't be significant movement after the 3rd list in most of the NLUs I've considered. For the top 10 rankers, I searched for their ranks online and gathered information about their future plans to enhance my research.

Top 10 Rankers:

NLU

Number of Top 10 rankers

NLSIU

NALSAR

GNLU

Not in the Counseling Process

Half of the top 10 rankers opted for NLSIU, while 2 aspirants enrolled in NALSAR, and 1 chose GNLU. Additionally, it's worth noting that AIR 7 seems to have qualified for NLUD and intends to join it.

AIR 3, who is a coaching institute teacher, did not participate in the counselling process.

This data suggests that NLSIU is still the preferred choice among the top 10 Rankers. However note that 2 students joined NALSAR and 1 joined NLUD out of the 9 who opted for counselling, it is possible that NLSIU's recent batch size increase has put off some students.

I consider that a single digit CLAT AIR student joining GNLU was somewhat of a random event and so does not inform any meaningful discussion about the other T1 NLUs' student perception.

Top 100 Rankers:

NLU

Number of Top 100 Rankers

NLSIU

NALSAR

GNLU

Not in the Counseling Process

If we exclude the 10 Rankers who were not in the counselling process, the percentage of rankers joining the aforementioned institutions becomes:

NLU

Number of Top 10 Rankers

Percentage (out of 90)

NLSIU

NALSAR

GNLU

As we can see, when excluding those who did not join counselling, because they joined NLUD or other law schools or some other reason, NLSIU still remains the most preferred institute by a massive margin.

Vacancy Rates for selected 5 NLUs between 1st and 2nd Lists:

I only used the movement from the 1st to 2nd lists as for most of the NLUs considered, the movement from 2nd to 3rd list was not significant.

NLUsSeats VacatedStudents AdmittedVacancy Rate (%)

NLSIU133004.33NALSAR1613511.85NUJS101089.26NLIU1911416.67GNLU1817210.47

Thus as we can see students very rarely vacate their seats at NLSIU (likely because of its positive perception amongst most students), however rather surprisingly, the second lowest vacancy rates are at NUJS, so recent negative incidents at NUJS have not discouraged admitted applicants from pursuing their studies at NUJS.

The Vacancy Rates at both NALSAR and GNLU are quite in line with the average 12 to 13% vacancy at other NLUs (I did some rough back of the envelope calculations)

The vacancy rate at NLIU is in fact a little on the higher side, would love to know from you all why this is, although I would presume this is some kind of a fluke event this year.

Please give your opinions and feel free to point out any errors.

Notes:

1) I only compared the BA LLB courses, NLUJ's BSC LLB was not considered.

2) I know that GNLU isn't typically categorized as T1; however, I included it because a single-digit CLAT AIR student chose to join it. While this may not be statistically significant, it's nonetheless intriguing.

3) This analysis is not meant to question anyone's NLU preferences so please not not construe it that way.

PS: Kian, please improve the ability to paste tables here; my formatting from google sheets is looking very weird here.
Hi Quantifier, thanks for sharing and sorry that posting a table was not possible. It is hard to reconstruct the table as pasted from the post above, could you maybe take a screenshot of the original table from Google Sheets and see if you can paste it into a reply to this post?
My screenshots aren't actually getting pasted for some reason, nevertheless here is a text version of the data:

Number of Top 10 rankers

NLSIU 5

NALSAR 2

GNLU 1

Not in the Counseling Process 2

Number of Top 100 Rankers

NLSIU 85

NALSAR 4

GNLU 1

Not in the Counseling Process 10

Excluding students who left the counseling process;

NLSIU: 85 out of 90 students, accounting for 94.44%.

NALSAR: 4 out of 90 students, representing 4.44%.

GNLU: 1 out of 90 students, constituting 1.11%.

Vacancy Rates

- NLSIU: 13 seats vacated, 300 students admitted, vacancy rate 4.33%.

- NALSAR: 16 seats vacated, 135 students admitted, vacancy rate 11.85%.

- NUJS: 10 seats vacated, 108 students admitted, vacancy rate 9.26%.

- NLIU: 19 seats vacated, 114 students admitted, vacancy rate 16.67%.

- GNLU: 18 seats vacated, 172 students admitted, vacancy rate 10.47%.

PS: Why is my original post marked as contested? This data has been sourced from the consortium's website.
It’s marked contested because it goes against the narrative that the trolls on this website like to believe. That colleges like NUJS or GNLU are actually solid tier-1s and that NLS is still number one. Neither of which is really true anymore.
It’s not a perception thing at all. On average, only some 25-30% of the top 100 ranks in CLAT crack AILET as well. So for many of these NLS kids, NLUD wasn’t a choice. NALSAR was a choice but it seems people still prefer NLS. And honestly, NLS has a better location, more alumni and much superior faculty. NALSAR also has some 160+ students in each batch now. So, they’re only marginally better than NLS on the batch size front. The top 3 to 4 NLUs continue to remain NLS>NLUD>NALSAR>NUJS/NLUJ.
Indeed, I can attest that a majority of the top 100 rankers do not achieve an AILET rank high enough to gain admission to NLUD. However, there are quite a few who indeed crack CLAT but prefer NLS, and then some who get a CLAT AIR high enough to get into NLS but prefer NLUD. In my opinion, NLS is no longer significantly better than NLUD after the batch increase, so I would rank both of them about the same.

The case of NALSAR is actually quite interesting; the institute is constantly falling in most of the NIRF parameters since the inception of NIRF. In recent times, top faculty like Sid.C and VBR have also left NALSAR for greener pastures. SKDR has also proved to be more of a paper-pusher than a change leader, just like his predecessor FM, who, at least to give him his due, was a decent law communicator. Furthermore, NALSAR's poor location is getting worse by the year, as opposed to, say, Nagarbhavi, which transformed from a rather sleepy village distinguished only by ISEC in 1991 to a pretty decent suburb by around 2015. Shamirpet, by contrast, was an insignificant village in 1998 and has remained one ever since.

Personally, my own ranking of the NLUs + JGLS would be:

NLS/NLUD > NALSAR > NLUJ/NLIU > NUJS/GNLU > JGLS > All other NLUs/private law schools.
First of all, you have got very little idea about NIRF parameters based on your comment. The points about faculty that NIRF cares about such as publication, people like SidC never contributed much towards anyway. Their strength lay elsewhere. NALSAR has also recent got a NAAC score higher than NLSIU and NLUD, not that I believe any of these rankings or score to be truly useful in determining the quality of a University. Your personal preference order does not seem to reflect any objectivity either, since there is no parameter whatsoever in which NLUJ or NLIU is or ever has been ahead of NUJS. Even GNLU has been recognised as ahead of NLIU in most categories as on date. Nor is there any difference between graduate outcome of places like NLSIU, NALSAR, NLUD, NUJS etc. Perception of CLAT aspirants is widely distorted, mostly because of coaching centre drivel and anon forum like this.
Does AILET release its whole rank list? Otherwise how did you arrive at the first conclusion?
So for someone who is supposed to work on quant matters, your methodology is already suspect. How will LinkedIn tell you who has secured rank 12 in AILET for example but never took entry? They won't necessarily announce it. Same goes for CLAT. The fact is that unless both CLAT and AILET release their full rank list, nobody can carry out any objective study about who cracked the exams but might have chosen one over the other.
@OP here,lot of people do mention their test scores on Linkedin, the same can be used to get an idea.
That's not quant or any kind of scientific data, just an incomplete impression.
They used to release the whole rank list till 2019-20. Much like CLAT did as well. That's enough to extrapolate how many people actually crack both exams. And that isn't likely to change much nowadays either.
That's five year old data. And your last sentence goes to show why law students should be taught how quant studies work.
@OP here,Please read the line just preceding my ranking, I wrote β€œpersonally, my own ranking”. The ranking mentioned by me is based on my opinion informed not only by data but also by personal circumstances.
Only your personal circumstances, don't bring data in there to lend it credibility. Moreover, why would someone who is claiming to provide objective quant based facts mar the cred of their own analysis by postscripting random personal opinion?
@OP here,I did not include any personal opinions in my original post, only when replying to another user did I mention them.
Please cite the stats the you relied upon to show that NALSAR has been falling in NIRF parameters since its inception. If that's true, then NLUD must have been falling too, since it was only just ahead of NALSAR in the last NIRF ranking, and so is NLS, which is not increasing its lead either.
What is this pro-NALSAR p-hacking, NALSAR is not as good as NLSIU/NLUD, get over it! This forum is genuinely so toxic, people cling to their NLUs as if their career will be ruined if their NLU criticized even once. Stop it, get some help.
I wish I had access to such vacancy analysis when I gave CLAT. Got invited for counseling but rejected it because I thought I wouldn't get even a baby NLU with a number around AIR 2500.
3rd year hu ek government law college me. Bleak placements, ambitionless yet academically talented peers. And no, it's not GLC Mumbai. My uni has strict attendance requirements.

Thinking whether I should give CLAT again or just use contacts to get internships
No use bete. Unless you are a reservation wala of some sort (be it lateral or vertical), you won't even get NLU Sonepat at that rank
A 20-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.
A 28-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.