Read 52 comments as:
Filter By
Now we are holding it against Gauti Pilliai that she got a teaching job early, which is what all post docs want? EUI is literally the post prestigious post doc in Europe! And sure, let's dismiss the Yale PhD woman also out of hand.
They don't count because the commenter clearly has an agenda to make Arul George Scaria out as something special and dismiss the accomplished women on that list. Hard to say whether it is personal or just general misogyny.
Have you been in academia at all ? This is quite a common thing to do. Post docs are for doing research and producing your first/ second book. It’s not uncommon in this day and age to hold a teaching position and then take a sabbatical and do a post doc.
If you get leave for pursuing post doc while in service, it will count towards your working years for promotion.
No, LL.D. is not merely a honorary degree. Check NLSIU's LLD regulations which allow anyone to apply ten years after their PhD with the requisite number of publications. They have to produce an original thesis to get that degree.
Funded by a German Ministry and indeed seems to be a postdoc, but again, not in law like some others mentioned. Social sciences have a different setting than law postdocs - there are more social sciences postdocs than law postdocs.
LL.D is not comparable to postdoc in any sense. Postdocs are faculty members/research fellows in law schools, with a salary. LL.D are research students in India who pay a fees for a useless degree that adds no value whatsoever in academic career.
Correct. Postdocs in law schools abroad are salaried employees. LLD is a degree. Different things.
Lol, wtf. No one cares at NLUD about this and we are more than happy to accept the fact that NLS has better faculty nowadays.
As someone who is pursuing their PhD, and has an interest in academia but not so much in research, would a post doc or LLD be good for my career in the long run ?
How is that relevant as to when someone starts a post doc? You can start it at 60, but it will still be a post doc.
I don't know about private universities but definitely NLUs. It's not easy but it is possible.
An LL.D. is very different. It is mostly granted on the basis of honorary considerations to established people. Moreover, the postdoc is not a degree, it is a paid research position. An LL.D. is not usually a paid position.
2 minutes silence for all the NLUD trolls in shambles after reading this comment.
It was in JNU, funded by Max Planck I think. Check Kena Wani's profile on NLS faculty profile.
Where are most of them based? And Indians from private universities hold postdoc positions in Law schools abroad? Sounds unbelievable.... O.o
NLUs offer a degree called LL.D., which while not exactly post-doc, is comparable. Applicants need to have a PhD and a certain number of publications in the relevant domain to apply.
I am now more curious about where that 1 postdoc in India is happening. Which university is giving postdocs in India?
Lol, no. I personally know at least 10 and 6 belong to different NLUs including but not limited to the places that you mentioned, 2 are from private universities and 2 from TLCs.
5 in NLS? You mean NLS has 5 faculty members with foreign postdocs? Ain't no way. Can you tell us who? I did not find it.

I think you might mean 5 NLS graduates, no? Is that correct? Where are they doing their postdocs?
I found 5 in NLS, out of which only 1 is from India. One is pursuing Post Doc.
Let me guess. Only very few from NLS, NALSAR and/or NLUD hold, or have held, postdoc positions is reputed law schools abroad.
Serious answer: IIM Ahmedabad but only in some corporate law and corporate governance fields. That is one of exceptionally few universities in India that at least have a reputation outside of India.
What a crap argument. That is like saying physics is meaningless, one should only study civil engineering.
Pratical field ? Yet it takes you a decade to establish yourself. Bahahaha
Practice is based on theory. Let's see you cover 5 year+1/2+3/6 years worths theory on your own. No wonder it takes people like you 7 years to establish a practice.
Tell that to all your professors that made you who you are today. This is like a pseudo feminist raised by a single dad saying "all men are evil". If we didn't require LLM and PhD, we'd have graduates teaching law course via chatgpt.
Only insecure people go with LLM and PhD. Law is a practical field, not an academic one.
What about post doc positions in India ? Are there any highly reputed Universities that provide post doc ?
That's true. As a law academic, i can attest that postdocts are extremely difficult positions and very competitive and tough to get. Very very few Indians hold postdoc positions in Law schools abroad.
Bruh, which law university in India gives postdocs? Postdocs are mind-boggingly competitive positions even in foreign institutions where hardly they have 1 or 2 postdocs at any given point of time.
How relevant is a post doc in law ? Is it wise to do a post doc in India or immediately join as an assistant professors?