Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
I am from a reputed NLU, and I have spent 3 years of my life for graduation in judiciary preparations. How can I join a decent law firm? I also have had internships at top tier law firms like AZB and SAM. Please give genuine advice.
I am a top tier law firm partner and been practicing over 12 years. I would like to tell what has worked for me over the years.

Please utilise your remaining colleage years efficiently. Try to focus on internships related to practice area you want to focus on. Most firms keep an eye on good interns so chances of you getting the offer are higher if you work sincerely and show hunger for work and learning. While interning, make sure that you focus on aspects such as attention to detail, legal research, drafting, presentation, etc. Generally, I don't see any issue and most likely you will land in a good law firm job.

Practice area: Carefully choose your practice areas and it's better if you focus on high demand practice areas like M&A, employment, litigation, etc. Other practice areas are banking, IPR, tax and so on. Read and read more. Learn about your practice area so you will be a way ahead by the graduate.

I see a lot of negativity about toxic culture of law firms on this forum. While there is no denying of fact that there are some toxic teams, there are a lot more advantages. Try to observe team culture while interning, talk to contacts and then join the firm. Law firms give you amazing work experience and is way better financially rewarding. Law firms jobs are usually fulfilling if you are ready to work hard. Some weekends will be working, but if you are focussed, it won't bother you much. You can always join corporate jobs later in your career, but it's not a wise idea to start your career with corporates - your learning will be limited.

Hope this helps. Once you start earning, invest in good stocks after proper fundamental research. :)

Hope this helps.All the best.
Please ignore this comment. I am a senior equity partner at a renowned firm in Fort, Mumbai. Never use contacts, always go through your college placement cell. Further, law is only rewarding once you reach partnership/PA levels
Of course I understand that. I have never said use contacts to get jobs. What I meant when I say 'talk to contacts' is friends who are interning at other firms - It is easier to understand firm culture. Also, while the law is more rewarding once you are a PA / Partner, you need to keep working in law firms to get elevated at PA / partner levels. No law firms will make you a partner / PA if you move from inhouse jobs (of course there are exceptions).