Read 41 comments as:
Filter By
PS: Sorry for the rant

Since the release of the CLAT first list, I have been reading up on NLSIU on this forum, and I cannot help but feel scared. I have been reading posts ( like https://www.legallyindia.com/convos/topic/309689-why-hasnt-nlsiu-released-their-placement-stats-for-over-half-a-decade-now%20 , https://www.legallyindia.com/convos/topic/272682-why-was-nlsiu-day-zero-a-flop-show-or-was-it%20, https://www.legallyindia.com/convos/topic/282300-nlsiu-a-jindal-in-the-making%20 etc ) , and I'm feeling extremely nervous.

Will joining NLSIU be a good choice for me, or am I gambling away my future? The problem for me is that I did poorly on AILET, so NLUD is not an option. I did quite well on the LSAT and have received a 50% scholarship for Jindal, but my parents are totally discounting JGLS and won't let me join it.

I think the moot question is whether joining NLSIU is a good option?
It’s comparable to DNLU, MNLU Mumbai & CNLU, so it’s decent.
We could have taken this up on our whatsapp gc (rather than here on li). Feel free to drop anything of this sort, everyone would be happy to give you the inputs you might want/would like to hear
It has been in existence since 2.5 months now, text any of the nls admins on the mega nlu syndicate dc to get added

You can get the syndicate gc chat link from any incoming nlu student
I too faced a similar dilemma some years ago. Here is a poem I wrote about our situations. I hope it helps:

Amidst the sea of choices vast,

Where uncertainty grips steadfast,

Take heart, dear soul, and do not fret,

For in the journey, lies your bet.

Gather knowledge, let it bloom,

Illuminate your path from gloom.

In this maze of schools, don't be led astray,

But seek the one that lights your way.

No single "best," no golden rule,

But what aligns with dreams, the jewel.

So, with clarity and focus sharp,

Craft your future, let doubts depart.

Informed, deliberate, let your choice be,

A beacon bright, for you to see.

For in this journey, yours to claim,

Lies the key to your rightful fame.
I hope you know that the people whining about NLS are either (a) 18/19 year old kids who have a grouse against everything or (b) people not from NLS, who have a half-baked idea of the place, at best? Please do not make life-changing decisions based on random rants. Remember that this is the Internet. No one comes here to say good things. People only come here to complain.

Even if there are valid questions about the direction that NLS is going, it still has a formidable brand name, and excellent staff and facilities. To add to this, most of the All-India toppers are still picking NLS.

Think about it for a moment- all of them also read Legally India. They have access to the same information you have. And by all accounts, they are delighted that they got into NLS.

Do you have good, concrete information that will prove 100 people wrong, and you right? There are a hundred other forums there. Go to Reddit. Go to FB. Go to Twitter.

If you're still jittery, just join. You don't just have a bird in hand, you have a golden goose. You can always drop out and go to a different law college after a year, if you're not convinced with Nagarbhavi.
Unpopular opinion and I may be playing the devil's advocate here, but I suggest you choose JGLS with the scholarship. NLS is anyway copying the JGLS model of massive batch size and huge fees but no one can do that better than the original. Plus, NLS has ranked way below JGLS in QS every year.
No mate Institute a/b/c is better !!!!!!!!

SAYS A RANDOM PERSON ON AN ANON FORUM!

If you really want a true picture why don't you ask some students/alumni of the institute?

BTW NLSIU is way better than JGLS, but don't take some anon's word for it, DYOR!!!
Don't read gossips on LI. You are lucky to get NLS.

Jgls with 50% scholarship is tempting. You can leave gnlu, hnlu or nlu jodhpur for that. Not NLS or NALSAR.
You got NLSIU, take it blindly don't think twice, regardless of the batch placements or whatever, NLSIU has the best infrastructure and professors for the decade to come. If you get the grades and do things right you'll get placed don't worry,

You're forgetting that NLSIU has the most foreign collaborations and the best faculty out there
Infra, no. Faculty-wise, they are better than any other NLU at present, agree.
@OP here, after great consideration, I have decided to join JGLS instead of NLSIU. I am not comfortable with NLSIU's large batch size and believe that I can find more like-minded students at JGLS. Thank you all for your feedback!
You are not comfortable with NLS' batch size, so you chose to opt for a place with an even bigger batch size? This is such a bizarre logic that one wonders how or if you made it to NLS to begin with!
@OP is literally going to be mentioned in JGLS's spammy emails heralding the rise of its law programme accompanied by boisterous claims of JGLS surpassing NLSIU in student perception.
Instead of wasting time here, it might be time to start preparing for law school.

Improve your typing speed.

Learn about citations.

Read up on legal methods and how to write legal papers.

Start reading Pindyck for microeconomics.
Pindyck! Seriously?!

Mankiw is the GOAT for introductory microeconomics!

For a little more advanced book read Koutsoyiannis, dense but hugly informative and somewhat unconventional.

Abhor Pindyck!
Yes OP, start your lawschool preparation before the academic rigour catches upto you!

Even nls dogs could recite last 50 years SC judges and their lineage in their sleep, and dobby already has a ppo from trilegal.
dude this mod is wild. Anything slightly incredulous or sarcastic is suddenly trollish.
I work at a T1 firm and I've always wondered why many of my interns complain that their life is 'full of problems.' Now I know why.

Listen kid, you are just overthinking! Just go for NLS. When I was seeking admissions, I would have literally killed for NLS.

Think of it this way: the debate between NLS and JGLS is like the debate between a Merc and a Maruti. Are they both cars? Yes. Do they both have good gizmos? Yes. Are they equals? HELL NO!

JGLS is indeed one of the best law schools in India, but NLS is the best; that’s the difference. Hope this helps.

PS: This is my first post here; please provide feedback!
Nlsiu is no longer the best place to study at with its humongous batch size and dictatorial admin.