Read 20 comments as:
Filter By
I don't think there's any doubt that IIM A/B/C/ are bigger brands than NLUs, including NLSIU. Their alumni list is just awesome. IIM I/L/K are also much ahead of NLUs, although maybe not NLSIU.

But what about ISB??? In terms of age, ISB is much younger than NLSIU and about the same age as some other NLUs. But can an ISB brand be considered more prestigious than an NLU brand -- even NLSIU?? Does an ISB degree lead to better job prospects and pay? Or is it worth it only if you are from lower ranked NLUs, i.e. NALSAR/NUJS/NLUD/GNLU and below, like NLUJ, NLIU, RGNUL, HNLU, Shimla, Patna etc? Or is NALSAR considered more prestigious than ISB now?

Honestly, the NLSIU alumni list looks so much more impressive than the ISB alumni list. NLSIU has produced a QC, ASG, judges, Senior Advocates, partners at US an UK firms, IFS/IAS/IPS officers, professors at Oxford and Ivy League law schools etc. In comparison, the only famous ISB alum seems to be Aman Gupta of Boat. Rest are just random corporate executives at various companies. Even Aman Gupta seems a bit of a douchebag tbh. Always saying dumb things on Shark Tank and in one pitch for a book company he said he doesn't read books. .. imagine! 😒
To get anywhere with an MBA, you need to own and hit P&L and business targets. There are jobs like marketing and finance, but those don't have the cachet that sales jobs have.

So, yes. If you like chasing clients and keeping them happy and creating a market and meeting revenue and profit goals and haggling on price and then coming back and having other people actually deliver on your promises, then...

Wait, what?
Firstly don't get your obesession with NLSIU when we have at least two or three more NLUs that have equally stellar graduation outcomes. So if you think joining NLS will give you better Graduation Outcomes than ISB than the same will happen if you join NALSAR. Even if you go by that highly erratic NIRF ranking you will see there is hardly some points difference between the top 4 NLUs (which again may be due to false data and other biases). Point being your grad outcomes in the top 4 NLUs will remain the same. Secondly as brand value, top 4 IIMs will have higher brand value than top 4 NLUs. But again this is just brand or perception. If you compare domestic salaries of top companies offered to IIM A freshers (and not to a guy who already had 10 years PQE before MBA) and compare to salaries of T1 and high paying T2 firms, you will realise that top NLUs may even beat the median IIM A placements. And I am not exaggerating one bit as you can check the domestic placement reports of all top 4 IIMs on their website. Mind you law firms pay the entire component as promised. Whereas a 30 LPA CTC given by Microsoft at IIM A is actually just 12 lakh of salary and the rest is inflated component like bonus (very highly variable and subjective), stock options (will not see it for the next 3 or 5 years but still added to CTC), insurance, statutory benefits like gratuity (which are added to CTC but not vested until you complete 5 years in organization), gym and cab facilities etc etc. Even NALSAR has ASG, judges, Senior Advocates, partners at US an UK firms, IFS/IAS/IPS officers, professors at Oxford and Ivy League law schools does that make it better than ISB? What I am saying all top law schools will have them and ISB will have people like Aman Gupta, but you have to accept that law and MBA are just not comparable. Ofcourse a law school will produce judges and senior advocates. That's what they are meant to do. You have to take your call. As for me I was happy earning more than my brother who was from IIM B because that's what pays for my car, my flat and my vacation. I didn't care that everyone in my family new IIMB but no one knew a thing about any NLU. I live for myself and not for them. They anyways get jealous when they look at my SM posts. Thinking "kuch accha hi karta hoga."
As an alumnus of NLSIU, I believe you are overestimating us. Just because some alumni have reached high positions does not necessarily imply that the institution is solely responsible for their success.

By the logic that alumni success determines the quality of institutions, GLC must be ranked above NLSIU, given its illustrious alumni list including Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, Chief Justices H. J. Kania, P. N. Bhagwati, M. H. Kania, S. P. Bharucha, S. H. Kapadia, and U. U. Lalit, alongside Pratibha Patil, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, L. K. Advani, Piyush Goyal, Cyril Shroff, Shardul S. Shroff, and Homer Pithawalla.

However, no rational person ranks modern-day GLC as better than NLSIU.

Believe me, IIM I/L/K are better than NLSIU. Furthermore my experience working in cop law has also made be believe that IIM Mumbai (erstwhile National Institute of Industrial Engineering) XLRI, SJMSOM are also superior to NLSIU. Personally I would rank IIM Ranchi/NMIMS/VGSOM/MDI/IFT Delhi at par with NLSIU. All other IIMs/B-Schools are certainly inferior brand value wise.

Returning to the point, ISB is certainly more prestigious. Just consider its global rankings: 32nd by Financial Times (2022), 7th by Forbes (2019), 44th by Economist, and 17th by Poets and Quants worldwide. Meanwhile, NLSIU was ranked #201-250 in QS WUR, below even JGLS.

So, pursuing an MBA from ISB with an NLSIU degree is undoubtedly worthwhile.

Hope this clarifies things!
On a related note what about NALSAR IPM, how does it compare to the IPMs offered by the IIMs
I was pursuing IPM at NALSAR. Its MBA is shitty. Most people will leave after BBA. In stark contrast to IIM Indore/Rohtak/Ranchi. MBA from this institutes is worth much much more than from NALSAR. Heck, even IIM Jammu/Bodhgaya is miled ahead of NALSAR IPM.
NLSIU has produced a QC, ASG, judges, Senior Advocates, partners at US an UK firms, IFS/IAS/IPS officers.

Research aap karte nahi hai, aur NLS NLS chillate rehte hai. Here is ISB founders list. Do see their valuations and revenue.

1. Piyush Shah - InMobi.

2. HarshVardhan Lunia - Lendingkart

3. Rahul Garg - Moglix - unicorn

4. Umang Kumar, CarDekho.com

5. Aakash Chaudhry, Aakash Institutes

6. Mayank Kumar - upGrad

Yeh sab random executives lag rahe hai aapko? Abe nikal ja bahar apne law superiority bubble se. Dusre ko neecha dikhana chhod de bhai. And these are entrepreneurs. Apna Chamber kholne ka alawa product utariye market me aur bechiye phir kuch boliyega.

Also, for our viewers, give a list of IAS,IPS and IFS from NLS who have cracked UPSC CSE. Ab IRS mat jod dena. Aap likhe hai IAS, IPS, IFS. Just these 3 services. Phir total NLU se IAS, IPS, IFS ki bhi list daalo. Thoda hum bhi toh gine aur sharminda ho.

https://blogs.isb.edu/admissionsdirector/2021/08/11/6-isb-alums-who-made-an-impact-in-the-indian-startup-ecosystem/
yes, make the switch tbh. law is overburdened with supply with v little demand. MBA and IT is where the money is at
It is a one year course. You need to have clarity on what you want and work towards it.

If you just do the course like a zombie you will most likely get some random job or no job at all.