Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
A distant relative of mine had a side interest in philately. While growing up, I had taken some interest. But over time other things came in the way. Maybe due to my earlier interest, I have been gifted his stamp collection following his death. No one in his family wants it. Got a small collection of coins as well. I guess all of these were collected during his numerous foreign travels.

I did some web research and realized that I am out of depth. I still retain interest in the histories, politics of how certain stamps/coins came about, were discontinued etc. But I am not sure if I can or wish to pursue philately seriously.

If I were to sell the collection, I don't want to be scammed. I checked the auction houses, stamp (hobby) shops in Calcutta. Not inspiring confidence. Also they seem to be a disinterested lot. Maybe because the collection isn't that big (less than 1000 stamps and 100 coins).

If I were to donate/auction for a cause,not sure howto go about that as well since many NGOs were clueless. I really don't want a slimy employee/owner to derive pecuniary benefits all in the name of "cause".

Also there is the issue of taxation, law etc. The oldest stamp is from 1908 or something. None of the stamps are among the "most valuable" as per Google, YouTube but they are valuable as per Ebay et al.

So I am in a bind. Because I do have emotional attachment to this collection. But I don't want to do injustice to my relative's memory etc when I let it go because I know there is no one I know among friends or family members who are into philately or do anything worthwhile with this collection.

Apologies for the long post. If you have genuine suggestions, kindly let me know.