Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
You do you.

As a senior who came from a village into a well known private university, I share your sentiments. I didn’t indulge in hookups, alcohol, cigarettes, non-vegetarian food or smoking up and wasn’t constantly chasing accomplishments in college. But I also did not look down on any of the above. I enjoyed hanging out with people so I participated in organising committees. I looked for people who could enjoy sober lunches and dinner and good food in city restaurants - and asked generally in class if people want to join. I hung out with smokers and had chai while they smoked. I hung out with alcohol enthusiasts and had virgin mocktails and offered cocktail making skills. I had a gala time with a category of intellectuals while they smoked up. You don’t have to hookup if you don’t want it - and you may look for a stable relationship. I accepted people are different and come from different walks of life and emptied my notion of life to learn more about them and there lifestyles. Humans - especially lawyers are lonely creatures. Most are always happy to talks about themselves, provided you don’t make them feel like you are judging them.

Again - you do you. Tier 1 or local government colleges, all have the same environments - you just have a base of accompalished alumni’s to reach out, competitive and ambitious circle of batchmates and promise of decent orgs showing up on campus. If you want to sleep for 7 hours do that. If you do not want to dedicate all your time to different competitions - don’t. If you do not want to pursue a corporate job - don’t. If you want to just focus on academics and relax - do that. Your activities will impact only you and not anyone else.

Only one thing you need to understand and imbibe. Make efforts in anything you finally decide to pursue and strive for excellence in that. You are in India (law school is irrelevant), and you will do fine if you decide to not put in effort or put in effort. But efforts will set you apart - in personal and professional life.

I had a fun college life - no moots, debates, ADR or papers only events and academics. I am doing as well as anyone in my year from best universities. A lot of factors matter in life - once you identify a problem, look for a solution.