Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
I had interned/ heard about the experience of a co-intern (keeping my confidentiality) with this team from AZB in the month of January. The entire team seemed to be dying on a DD in the last month of December and had somehow exceeded the hours they had committed to the clients. There was still a fair bit of work-product left to be delivered to the client and the dilemna of the senior partner was quite interesting. Associates putting in more hours would mean the need to slash their hours (Outcome - Zia slashing him), or the client slashing him.

Solution: Let's get more interns in the team and force them to do the heavy duty work and bill the client as budgeted. This is how firms have been saving up on intern work not by saving an entry level salary. Those associates who ask us to send a screenshot of our time sheet entries just to reproduce the same in their time entries, you're fooling nobody.
Sorry, I hear you but no firm, not a single firm, relies on the work product of an intern to provide it as a work product to a client. Partner or team will take a hit in terms of number of hours but will not pass on an intern's work to a client

(I have spent over half a decade at a T1 and have mentored several interns)
Exactly this. If an intern does a good job then that's a bonus but a firm will never depend on an intern's work. Firms take interns in order to select future associates and maybe do some minor clerical work.
Very true, interns pls stop assuming that your work product is client level. Associates end up reworking your work substantively. Also firms have strict policies on what work can be actually allocated to interns.
This is true for T1 firms, but not every firm.

There is one tech policy boutique firm with many big tech clients which makes interns work late at night and over the weekends. Sometimes the work is client-facing. I was once working with multiple deadlines and couldn't provide comprehensive research on a deliverable. The associate told me that it affected the advice that was sent to the client.

So yes, there are small firms that are severely understaffed where the work that interns do is depended upon by overburdened associates.
Associates putting in more hours would mean the need to slash their hours (Outcome - Zia slashing him), or the client slashing him.
What BS. Exceeding committed hours is the dream we aspire to work towards.

and had somehow exceeded the hours they had committed to the clients.
How would an intern know the total hours committed? Beta, go study.
You really think an intern especially in a T1 is apprised of what’s going on at a senior partner level. 99 percent of the time associates have to rework the work product shared with us- if you think you are doing any heavy lifting; rest assured, the associates may have been doing double the work. What are you complaining about, the good work exposure you got?
A 3-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.
A 5-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.