Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
Why dis Arghya praise an RSS draft constitution in his speech??? Completely unnecessary and wrong example to give. He could have instead cited changes proposed by the Constitution Review Commission. That was set up by the Vajpayee government, but made sensible and secular suggestions.
Arghya and Vikramjeet are making the same decolonisation argument, which has also been made by J Sai Deepak. It’s such a silly argument! Yes, our framers were influenced by Western liberalism and ideas of governance, but they didn’t blindly copy-paste such models. In any case, what’s the alternative? Adopt the ancient Dharma Shastras? Can you tell me which provisions of the Dharma Shastras deal with free speech, water treaties or federalist structure? I dare Arghya and Sai Deepak to draft a Constitution where they don’t borrow from the West!
A 67-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.
The voting pattern here shows that LI readers (who are mostly law students) have a left-liberal mindset.I request you all to please put your ideology aside and look at the issue objectively. Let's start with the document by the Hindu Mahasabha which Arghya cited, i.e. the Constitution of Hindustan Free State. He has written a whole article on it here:

https://theprint.in/opinion/savarkars-hindu-mahasabha-wrote-a-constitution-that-treated-hindus-muslims-equally/1773614/

As Arghya says, it was an inclusive and secular document which promoted direct democracy. As Arghya notes, Veer Savarkar no doubt had certain issues with the Muslim community, but the Hindu Mahasabha document treats all as equal. So what's the problem?? Why is everything written by the RSS and Hindu Mahasabha automatically bad? Remember also that Arghya Sengupta is a Rhodes scholar with a PhD from Oxford and was a multi-gold medalist at Law School. He knows his stuff.

Also, we need to get out of our white-skin complex and worship everything Western. The West was built on slavery, plunder and loot. Why should we copy their rules? Vikramjit Banerjee made this exact point in his speech, while referring to Black Lives Matter.
Fallacy : Appeal to authority.

Bud go back to first year and study legal methods.
Let's do a referendum and find out how many people want us to become Hindu Rashtra, with the government deciding what you would eat, dress, live etc.
Anyone know where Arghya might be headed to after the elections? NITI Aayog? Law Commission? There are also 2 vacancies in the Rajya Sabha among the 10 nominated seats for eminent persons. Maybe that?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/2-nominated-seats-in-rajya-sabha-vacant-for-over-20-months/amp_articleshow/107212686.cms
Certain people on the left are making highly objectionable remarks suggesting that Arghya is appeasing the BJP. A certain legal academic has posted a sarcastic remark on social media recently. Let me say unequivocally that these remarks and insinuations are completely false and unfounded. Arghya has always been neutral and centrist in all his articles. I doubt if those making remarks have read his book properly. Nowhere is he saying we want a Hindu Rashtra. He is simply making the valid point that the constitution is colonialist, because it is based on the Government of India Act 1935. There are enough remarks in the Constituent Assembly Debates where people said so. Also, Nehru called the GOI Act 1935 a "Charter of Slavery". See from Wikipedia below. What about that, huh??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_India_Act_1935#Receptions
A 10-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.
A 21-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.