Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
In a field where even experienced professionals struggle to scrape a penny, you expect interns to get paid?
I can relate as a law student. It does make it harder to decide for internship knowing that I would need to spend for PG/accommodation and other expenses and I will not be getting anything except good experience in return.
This is sad but true. Overseas, interns are paid significant sums of money to provide a fair wage for living expenses and to compensate for work, and here we are expected to fund ourselves and get no subsidy from firms.
fact of the matter is if unpaid interns are made illegal, it'll just reduce the number of internships available, not increase the number of paid internships

making unpaid interns only restricts the (unpaid) opportunities, doesnt increase paid ones unfortunately, so all in all it'd be a net loss
Justice DY Chandrachud has a pretty decent internship programme but he doesn’t pay his interns. So much for paying juniors lol. It’s very exclusionary. Only people who can afford to rent out a place in Delhi, order food everyday can afford to intern at these places.

The work without due payment is just exploitative. Supplis come late at night and then interns are put on it. Work is hectic which is fine but without any monetary benefit it’s just free and unfair labour. Motivation to churn out good quality work also dies eventually. At least offices of Judges and Law officers should do better in terms of paying interns for the rest of the legal industry to follow.
it's a demand and supply issue. thousands of interns willing to move to mumbai/bangalore/delhi and work, and limited number of available internships
A 4-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.
A 14-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.