Read 20 comments as:
Filter By
My client had me working non-stop for over 10 days on a 100-page NCLT Oppression and Mismanagement Petition (which is being filed by another lawyer), and I billed him INR 2 lakhs for the work. This client and I must have clocked at least 7 all-nighters together- to pull this off. I also handled another case, got a good order, and charged 35K. Despite daily legal advice calls (which come to this date), I've only been reimbursed expenses and received 20K last Saturday for my services. Have been short-paid by over INR 2.10 Lakhs. It's demoralizing. How do I talk to my neighbor-client about this, and keep things friendly?
Say that you need to settle your books in view of the financial year closing soon, for tax purposes, etc. Along side, share a draft invoice with him telling him to confirm the details of the entity/person to whom the invoice should be issued. Request him to clear the invoice within this financial year.

You seem like a polite enough person considering it's even a thought that you don't want to jeopardize the relationship. You'll figure out the right words to communicate the above points.
you did NCLT petition without taking a single penny advance ??
Learning for you.. write off & get ready for next client.. there will always be some bugger... despite advance, someone will always cheat you like this.. & next time, next client, tell 5L fees & 2L advance
Bad advice. Do NOT withdraw the petition without express instructions from the client to do so.

You may seek leave to withdraw the vakalatnama, that's alright. But withdrawing the petition when the client hasn't told you to? Unbecoming conduct.
Ask your Clerk or Accountant to connect with him directly. Tell them to find out the reason for short payment.

If he refuses to pay any further, withdraw your vakalatnama with immediate effect by way of a letter.
Dear OP, please mention a way to talk. This much fees is a dream come true for 90% of lawyers in India. Atleast, where I am from - this is very astronomical fees.
If the first hearing hasn't happened, tell him one day before the hearing that you will need money before appearing and arguing for interim reliefs.

If this is your client, your filing counsel should ideally be on your side and refuse to get the case listed till payment has been made.
Issue the fee bill for the amount due to you and have it sent to the client. You are unlikely to be paid, and this is your lesson from the debacle. Keep it civil and do not work for the client again if he does not pay after receiving your fee bill.
A 6-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.