Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
Thought that a thread of this nature is much needed given that a career in litigation is usually associated with hardship, dejection, and poor finances.
Not a first hand experience. From what I know, people love dealing in different areas of law and spending time in courts where actual action takes places. A law firm job, usually, doesn't offer such experiences. An associate in litigation/dispute team at a law firm also occasionally would be required to go to courts, and that too for seeking adjournments/passovers.

There is more liberty when it comes to litigation. You have to learn 'everything' your own way and perform every task on your own.
PQE 1.5 Tier 2 city. This post made me introspect. Started with a leading criminal law veteran in HC, no pay and was a family run office. Those 6 months were the most difficult. Had to ask money from parents felt like shame.

After 6 months shifted to a young and an upcoming extremely smart civil and commercial lawyer. I was and still am the only junior in his office. The experience at this place has made change my perspective.

That pay for the first 6 months was at par with a T1 firm stipend to a law student. Thereafter multiple pay revisions because of my performance and contribution to the office. Passes on matters to me which are not worth his time, so helps me build my practice too. At this point I earn enough to make more than my monthly expenses living in a T2 city away from my home.

I have been extremely lucky to work with my senior. Following things makes me continue litigation: -

A. Not a single day is spent doing the same thing

B. Daily learning

C. Independence

D. Full control over time

Trust me if you find a good office to work, litigation can be the best thing that could happen to your life. Cheers buddy
Hi.

I am not able to find a good office to work. I am from a Tier 2 city too and willing to grind in the practice space (irrespective of location). How do I start if I am not receiving any response from people around to my cold emails. I am a 2023 grad with some post qualification internship experiences.

Please share any tips. Thanks in advance.
Hi. If I would be at your place. I would go the the high court every day. Would check the roaster and purposefully sit in courts having matters that in areas I want to foray in. Would check daily causelist for the day in that court. Would find out lawyers who appear regularly. Do this for a week 10 days, mark 2-3 young and upcoming lawyers. Would either approach them directly in the court itself or would get their email/number from their bag(the one their clerks carry in courts with file I'm it). 9/10 you would get a good office to work by doing this.
Thanks. This was really helpful. Will try approaching lawyers the way you mentioned. I am really hopeful that something positive would come out of this.

Thanks again!!
Second this.

You can't find out who's who by sitting at home on a computer. The good ones have to be approached after seeing them in court. Young upcoming first gen lawyers are most likely to make good bosses and mentors because they know the struggles themselves. Don't give up. Make it a goal to start independent practice as quickly as possible. You can achieve financial independence in 2 years of independent practice. There is always room for young lawyers who can undercut older ones on fees.
Family support. Would not be possible without it.

Chamber didnt pay anything, so needed pocket money to survive. Luckily, I studied at non NLU and fees were dirt cheap.. you wouldn't believe it if I told you. Parents gave pocket money and said work hard. Felt ashamed but had no choice. Rather be ashamed of taking family support for some time than to be verbally abused by people at the office (experienced this at a renowned firm where I trained before choosing litigation)

Worked at chamber with almost no pay but understood basics of litigation quickly. My boss gave me responsibilities of arguing, negotiating, police station visits, and even cross examination right from the beginning.

Started independent practice. Became financially independent within 3 years. So total of 4 years of family support needed.

Today, 10+ years l
PQE 6 here from T1 NLU.

Work is fun, ability to control my time is great (at my experience level), and money is great (I make around what a T1 SA1 would).

As a first gen lawyer, that fear of being without work is definitely there, and it's tough to set up a practice and figure channels of work.
It is this ability to make genuine difference in the lives of people and witness the gratefulness from the clients...for instance I secured a bail for my clients who were wrongly accused of domestic violence and dowry harrassment and even after months they frequently wish me on festivals and give sweets...to bring harmony and make others lives easier is a joy unparalleled...apart from that litigation gives you practical exposure in just 2-3 years time which can later be compensated with money...wide variety of cases makes professional life more interesting as well and is a continuous learning curve