Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
Is Litigation difficult for someone who's practicing under an advisor 3-4 years and planning to go independent ?

Is it conflex or people do get used to all the jargons and manage easily ?

I'm an intern and worried about how will I learn all the work.
It depends. 3-4 years into the profession, especially litigation would still make you a newbie and not a lot of clients would be willing to give you a chance. A lot lawyers going independent at this stage, go independent in the sense that they take work from other lawyers for a margin of the fees, such as drafting. That said, courtroom practice is quite different from corporate law firm practice. The work would be very diverse, as most litigators generally don't specialize. So you will keep on learning new laws and concepts all the time while working on them. However, that is something that can be handled over time. The biggest issue in litigation is financial independence. 3-4 years in would place you in the ballparks of 26-27 years of age. While your peers (in corporates and other fields) may be earning quite handsomely, you would be forced to live austerely. However, if you have soon financial backing or strong networks to keep you afloat, litigation in the long term can be very rewarding (if you have genuine passion for law). Best of luck!
If you have family background or strong networks, considerably easier. Not shading those having a law background/ network, but dear me, it pumps the motor for sure

You'll probably learn the theoretical stuff, maybe, even by yourself; but the other aspects are not so easy.

Seniors don't actively or passively want you to do well, actively or passively.

If you're lucky, they'll not sabotage you, again, actively or passively.

Money is bleak at the beginning. No guarantee as to what would be the situation, years later.
Damn, sabotage by senior is real and that sheet (spelling lol) singes