Read 34 comments as:
Filter By
Let's do a comparison with UK universities. Here is how UK law schools rank in the QS global top 200:

2 - Oxford3- Cambridge

7- LSE

14- KCL

15 - UCL

17 - Edinburgh

32 - QM

46 - Durham

56 - Glasgow

57 - Manchester

59 - Bristol

88 - Nottingham

99- Leeds

101-150 - Warwick, Birmingham etc.

150-200 - SOAS, Cardiff, Sheffield, Liverpool etc

Currently, NLSIU is ranked even below 200, in the 201-250 tier. It shares space with lowly regarded colleges like Newcastle, York and Essex. Very obviously, this is not a fair ranking for NLSIU, if we consider alumni achievements, placements, moot courts and success in Rhodes and Gates scholarships. Faculty quality is one criterion where NLSIU was lagging a bit, but Sudhir has changed that by booting out mediocre TLC profs and hiring star alumni profs.

Thus, what would be a fair ranking for NLSIU in the Sudhir era? Can we say in the top 20, at par with KCL/UCL/Edinburgh? Or do they have superior placements, alumni, moot court achievements etc?

How about at least top 50, at par with QM, Manchester, Glasgow etc? Surely they can't be much ahead of NLSIU?

What do you think, friends?
Given the arrogance of Sudhir and his coterie alike, thank your stars that the law school ranks even near rank 200
You really hate the guy don't you?

What did he do to you? I'm curious. What's your story?
Most people who have known him professionally or worked with him apparently dislike him, which is quite surprising. I mean, I met him a couple of times and while he was rather verbose on those occasions, he also appeared courteous and respectful of others' opinions.
There are other factors namely number of foreign students, research, infra where NLS is lagging behind. The QS ranking is honestly not a fair ranking when it comes to Indian law Universities
With 300 batch size plus domicile quota, NLS shouldn’t even qualify to be included in QS rankings.
I think that all those other places named currently offer a much superior quality of education, exposure and opportunities compared to any Indian law school, including NLSIU.
Faculty quality is not judged by star eyed adulation of people who hardly qualify to judge that. It's indicated by research and publications insofar as ranking is concerned. NLSIU and other Indian NLUs are shockingly behind on those aspects.
Definitely top 100 I would say. Pretty hard to be more specific than that without carrying out meticulous comparisons between universities.
I think LSE, KCL and UCL are very overrated and Law School is better in both faculty and student quality. Only in infrastructure it is behind (in hostel rooms quality).
You would. Since you clearly have no idea about the position that those universities hold in terms of academic quality and scholarship.
No.

Making it to Top 100 and then Top 50 in the world will be a great deal for NLS or any Indian law school.

Jindal has broken into top 100 and maintaining it for last 3 years.

Wish NLSIU breaks into top 100 soon.
If we EXCLUDE infrastructure and internationalisation, and ONLY rank on academic excellence, a fair ranking would be:

- Oxbridge

- LSE

-KCL, UCL

- NLSIU

- Edinburgh, SOAS, Warwick etc

Note also that many NLSIU alumni teach at Oxbridge, LSE, KCL etc. So these universities themselves recognise the worth of an NLSIU degree.
Academic excellence? What's the metric that you are using for that? Can't be research or publications, because NLS or any other Indian law university doesn't produce a fraction of that compared to the universities you named. Moreover, NLSIU undergrads eventually teaching elsewhere is hardly because of their undergrad alma, it's more about where they have gone on to do their Masters and doctorates from.
Clearly that shows the credibility of the rankings. A university that nobody in India takes seriously is considered the best Indian university as per these rankings.
Or, maybe, it is a university that is taken quite seriously except for those who live under a smug, arrogant, rock.
Top 20 is too low for nls, I think it’ll be ranked 3rd- right after jgls and nirma
This is how the ranking would look:

1. Harvard

2. Oxford

3. NLS

4. Yale

5. Stanford
Hahaha...that's a good one :)

Jokes apart NLS must strive and it indeed deserves to break into top 100 law schools globally.
Wants, yes. Deserves, not really. I've been to several top global universities in the world. None of the Indian law universities even come close in any metric other than possibly student quality.
Asian ranking would be Singapore>NLSIU>Hong Kong>Japan>China/Taiwan>Korea>NALSAR/NLUD
NLS ahead of HKU, CUHK, Tsinghua, Renmin etc. LMAO. Loving the delusion in this thread. Have you ever been to any of these institutes, or just 'trust me bro'? Literally searching people on Google Scholar will tell you how many lightyears ahead the other schools are compared to NLS. NLS has no global leading academics on any subject, which HK, China and Japan have. Singapore is a league apart anyway.
Most definitely not. NUS and HKU law schools have better reputation, faculty, pedagogy and research profiles than NLS. NLS does not even come close to its counterparts in Asia
A 575-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.