Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
Can any one out of these LLMs compensate for a State University education when looking for an opening in an Indian Tier-1 law firm?

Is so then which, and why specifically? If there are any people working as HR, Senior Associates or Partners here, then please reply.
if you want a corporate job joining any llm programme is a terrible idea. Youd be better off doing whatever job you get now- doing it really really well- and moving laterally after two years. You wont be wasting all that time pursuing an academic degree not constructed to help meet these career goals and will learn stuff that will be useful to you. Youd be better off being an unpaid intern for a year than a fee paying llm student that will not get the same brand name benefits.
I mean for a graduate from a state university yet to land a job, will LLM open doors to tier 1 law firms due to brand value?

In CV I have Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 1 internships
Your state university's apparent disadvantage is offset by the internships you have done. Tier 1 and 2 internships should ideally help in landing a job, if that is what you are aiming at. For reaching Tier 1 law firm, you will have to join small boutique firms and then climb the ladder.

Apart from applying online, I would suggest you to visit the offices of these small places in person. Properly dressed (in uniform obvio), with a copy of your CV and internship certificates. You will have a good chance of starting as AO.
I know what you meant- and No. An LLM is not a qualification for a corporate job, its a qualification for academia and research. Doing more school wont help overcome the brand bias. The only way to overcome the brand bias is to intern intentionally- every time you intern, everyday- its a job interview. Only intern at places you want to work at and go in everyday and work as hard as you can trying to get that job. Be fairly direct about what your goals are and ask upfront if they would do an assessment interview with a view to hire. Whatever best job you get out of university- take it and grind for a year or two. Eventually you will be able to move laterally to a tier 1 firm. This is the best most direct failproof way.

LLM students absolutely do not benefit from the brand value of an NLS to the same extent that LLB students do. These programmes have been running for a while now and we know this. An LLM programme from an ivy league school- you will have learned american law- I dont think thats very valuable to a tier 1 firm in India. Chances of employment post that are low if youre not in the top of your batch and network a lot. It is difficult to get a job in America.
if you are not from a prestigious college and you have the money, go to UK for an LLM, come back and hopefully you can crack your first job at a decent place. if you are planning to loan, dont go for your LLM.

if you wish to settle abroad, then do an LLM in US.

if you are from a prestigious college and have a lot of money, then then also go to UK for a LLM. not for knowledge etc but for having the best time of your student life