Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, I am a litigating lawyer . I am attached to a chamber which does not pay much to cover even my fuel expenses. I am sure and I know that it will take much longer to build a decent level of steady income in litigation.

I am facing existential crisis for few months now. I am a single child of a single parent (mother), Father was out of world in 2009. Now my mother is retired from teaching job (pvt).

I am not facing financial challenge as we have rented our fiest floor which is sufficient for monthly bills.

But my circumstances make me think, is this it ? Is this life ? Is this what I studied law for ? To play small-time my whole life ? Even marriage is out of scene because of low earning in litigation. Imagine, a litigating lawyer left all alone and just coasting through life. Scary, right ?

I need perspective. Help me out !
I really wish I could provide some solace through words, my dear fellow (used here in a gender neutral sense) It is getting really worse by the day, and I am getting very miserable. Further, all law firm and in-house threads on this site have at least some sun shines, but everyone in litigation is in grief. Worse still, I completely relate to all their reasons. They say you need to be patient, but deliberately overlook the disparity of status amongst junior litigators too. It's seriously breaking me everyday
Honestly, it really isn't worth it. You have a lot of responsibilities, seek an in-house role or move to a corporate law firm. Working in chambers is something only the ultra-elite can do.
Litigation is small fish being chomped by the so called biggies. Face value and all is just a smokescreen, the real key is how good you're at being in good books of other practitioners. Law degree has probably one of the worst ROI India, not only in terms of money, but also per your quality of life. Litigation will drain you of your youth, and these measly payment chambers thrive on dangling rotten carrots before juniors. Look around if you can get a decent senior. The ones with okayish seniors have some future, okay? Don't waste your time and youth over your present chambers.
Doubly Whammy is that I am in district court in a Tier-3 town. Not many chambers and everybody knows everybody. Word gets out when you leave a chamber. People inquire and talk and make your career harder than before to survive in litigation.
You made two big blunders in past

1st chose law

And then litigation.

You might have gone for an in house job.