Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Studying for an exam is different from studying for a research paper or a moot. You'd do this kind of reading for a moot, but for an exam, try to cover as much ground as possible without getting stuck in one area/topic. That's where good quality notes made throughout the semester come in, you'll never have the time to read everything right before the exam.
If you are serious about law, then you should be able to keep up with the readings prescribed during regular classes, especially during the weekends. The number of pages does not matter, what you glean out of them within a reasonably short time, does. Make notes, summaries as you write, use classifiers and tag words if needed. The more important thing, as one of my fav teachers in law school used to say, is to develop a perspective.
just a thousand pages a semester? thats too little no- paced over 4 subjects- thats 250 pages per subject, each subject has say 20-25 classes, thats 10-12 pages per class. Nah.

At NLS the official limit is 50 pages per class, so that would be about a thousand/ two thousand pages per class, 5-10 thousand per semester. Some professors do go over the limit considerably, nothing to be done about it when the subject requires it tbh. This is all quite normal.

I did my llm at an ivy league university, it was like a hundred words a day per subject- something like that- unless you were in business school then you didnt learn much. It goes fast when you get used to it.

theres enough time. on average- 50 pages shouldnt take you longer than an hour. If youre reading judith butler or spivak or someone dense- it might take longer, but if youre reading cases- it might take less time. but on average an hour for every subject is quite reasonable.
4 hours of class every day followed by 4 hours of reading? If only law school students gave that much time to education nowadays!
15-20 pages of text for every class is a reasonable expectation for undergraduate students