Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
I've talked to a lot of people from various academic disciplines, including engineering, medicine, English literature, and pure sciences, I've observed a notable trend. Law students, in particular, exhibit a remarkable degree of articulateness and eloquence, showcasing an exceptional command over the English language

Makes me wonder what the reason is. Is it the law school curriculum? Or is it because they are good readers as their profession requires them to read a lot?
Well because for the other discliplines it is a good to have skill whereas for lawyers it is their bread & butter
But sobo folks speak foon faan english, that is, not having much substance even though the impression they give is of someone very fluent
It’s mostly the tier-1 NLU students from the big metros and some nepo kids from privileged families that have such eloquence. But yes, in comparison to other streams, law focuses much more on precise language skills. This is quite obvious in how kids from places like NLS, NLUD, NUJS, etc. excel at the interview stage of civil services and scholarship interviews.
Would love a link of UPSC final marksheet pdf where the NLU kids have got more marks while aam kids have got less marks in interviews.

Just type in UPSC final marksheet 2022 in google and you will get the PDF. Now just high light the NLU kids so that we all can see them getting higher marks in interviews compared to aam janta. Please paste the final link here.

Thanks!
The greater requirement of English language skills in law (especially high-paying metro-based corporate law jobs) weeds out those who don't have that level of proficiency. In other words, law students aren't likelier to be articulate, articulate students are likelier to study law.
Articulation to my mind is structuring your thought process. Rather than only speaking fluent english, it is the intro, body, argument 1, argument 2, conclusion way of thinking.

Pretty sure no one does it better than MBB (McKinsey, Bain, BCG) front end consultant (Knowledge centre walo ki baat nahi ho rahi). Because they are drilled, hammered everyday to talk in this structured, succinct framework.

I am not sure if your PoV is due to meeting businessmen and Startup people. Meet real life MBB consultants who are doing front end consulting and then form an opinion on this issue.
True. Sometimes it's just empty rhetoric but substance is important. What are "front end consultants" though? My poc is due to meet students from different backgrounds. And also some working professionals. Must admit that haven't met a lot of people tho, I'm young
Front end consultant meaning who directly meet clients and unko topi pehnate hai. They are the ones who present the final presentation to the CXOs. Undergrad hiring mostly from old IITs, and rest after MBA. Other consultants or analysts make the presentation or do the research. Just search for BCG and it's new division BCG X. All these give support to the consultants.

Why consulting is most sought after investment banking because it has great exit opportunities. Bole toh Uber CEO is ex McKinsey etc. You can enter almost any field from govt to startups to tech companies after a front end consulting role in MBB, especially McKinsey & BCG. All top Bankers, who's who are ex McKinsey.

And you will have a network all across the world. And someone will know someone who could help you out. Hence, people desire MBB firms.
law students and lawyers in general are not as articulate as you think. drafting is some of the most obscurantist use of language. it's just that us lawyers roam in super endogamous circles so we don't know what very well articulate persons outside our circles are like.
A 4-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 6-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.