Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
A. Factual Background:

1. I am into litigation by circumstances. First-gen, at the current chamber for 2 years, right since the time of my enrollment.
2. The senior, (non-designated, mainly HC matters), in all due fairness gives me practically a free-hand when it comes to drafting. Even if this sounds like bragging, the truth is that 90-95% of my draft fits the requirements without ANY changes whatsoever. While at this chamber, I have drafted Second Appeals which have been admitted, Writs, Rejoinders, Replies, you get the hint. Almost everything. Interim Applications (yes, multiple) are a weekly fare.

3. I know I am a good draftsperson. The senior has directly and impliedly stated that I am on a decent point so far as drafting goes. I do not fear, but always do have necessary reverence towards the Courts. I have more than enough command over my language.

4. Despite all that is stated above, the only reason I am in the Court's well, even to this date is for adjournments. That in my view is NOT normal. Especially when I have a decent skill-set. To put things into perspective, even when seeking an adjournment, I am not allowed to carry the brief. I hate being in the CCourtwithout the complete brief, the judges rightly express their disapproval about the same.

5. The said senior has expressly stated that he shall not permit me to tender joint appearances. Despite me having drafted the entire Memo/ Plaint/ Application, there is NO talk of a joint VP, even for the sake of formality.

6. I am the only junior here. No interns either. Naturally the senior's kid would join this Chamber, in an year or two, once the said kid completes the law degree. The stipend is peanuts. The individual, as a person is not bad. In fact, the said individual is a decent person.

7. Since my joining, I have gradually shouldered little over 50% of all drafting work that needs doing. Lit and non-lit alike.

B. CONTENTIONS AND CONUNDRUMS

1. Is this work pattern routine? Am I being oversensitive? I have seen some of my acquaintances also NOT be in the well when the senior is addressing the Court, but later on, they too have begun joining the senior in the well.

2. In the event this is not routine, am i being really exploited in the name of "tradition of the Bar", "learn by observing from outside the well" and what nots?

C. ENDING NOTES CONCERNING 'SOCIAL CUES'

1. I really have no one to compare experiences and notes with, on this point. There are so MANY things that happen in the name of Bar tradition, such as giving up your chairs to seniors (non-designated as well), leaving the table when seniors want to sit there, not sitting aatthe so-called/ claimed 'Senior Tables' among other things. Some of these things make sense to me, some don't.

2. There is no practice of talking about these subtleties, especially at the Appellate Side of the HC where I practice. One may probably learn law and even argumentation through observation, but this reading the room thing doesn't always come easy.

I appreciate to the point answers. Trolls, please excuse.
"I have only one kidney, the Bar I frequent requires me to donate that very kidney to all the seniors who have a moral right to demand the same. It is normal, right?" - OP, probably
OP, what? Even office boys are given the briefs. Seriously what's the difference between you and an office boy if you're not even allowed in the well? Does your "senior" have some incriminating material against you? Why the hell are you at this chamber? Wait till this kid comes in, you'll end up as that nepo's junior
I was in OP's position once. It sucks, and I promise it doesn't get better. If you're an outsider, the Bar will do its best to try and break you. You need to incorporate a degree of shamelessness into your being. OP your Bar seniors aren't gods stop treating them like that. Respect and all is fine but not at the cost of your self respect

And please go independent or if that's not possible righ now, change your chamber at least Remember that just like in any other job you're replaceable af Your senior doesn't give rat's ass about you, and doesn't want you to grow That spot is for the kid to come in You're wasting away your talent, drafting matters which that kid's gonna argue. And by the way, if you stay here , as n earlier commenter remarked the kid will be arguing matters you draft and you STILL will be out of the well

This chamber is a red flag

RUN
There is a reason why the legal profession is known as a noble profession. You truly need to have it in your blood. I seriously pity these poor things. Non-legacy lawyers should really not get into litigation. They really sully the profession.
If you are good at drafting why not try your luck with a different senior? Good drafting is always in high demand
First gen lawyers have no right to be in lit.

- a third gen lawyer, who hates all the first gens.
Ya being ripped off dude. This ain't even exploitation

What you say is a close parallel to ownership overyour career; And you not the one having the ownership

Wake

The

F

Up
"The stipend is peanuts. The individual, as a person is not bad. In fact, the said individual is a decent person."

Stockholm syndrome ka chakkar hai babu bhaiya