Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
I want to ask whether the reason for such high resignations and not firing is an informal threat of firing from the firms.

I have heard that in other companies and fields, employees are told to resign so that they can later say that they had quit for other reasons in their interviews, such as growth, etc.

Is it the same for law firms? which ones do so routinely ?

Asking this because I haven't heard of anyone, especially our alums (T1 NLU) getting fired but a lot of them have resigned "voluntarily". Let's say I am okay with all the shouting of my current partner and stripping me of my dignity, also okay with cutting my bonuses. Do they still go ahead and fire people if the associates are not resigning. Also, if I want to quit from my current firm, what would be the ideal time...since I am assuming that quitting too early (let's say within months )would raise eyebrows over my competency. Also when would be a good time to quit if I want to join in-house with experience? I know it might be a premature question but I want money (without bonus is also fine) after law school but at the same time I don't want a scar in my CV for future. I plan to go in-house in the long run but very few inhouse come for placements.
Law firms most of the time put you on PIPs or educe your work itself so later they will fire you for doing only non-billables or just on their discretion. Have fun !
Yes. If a partner doesn't want you there, there's nothing you can do despite being ok with all of it. PIP happens. Voluntarily resigning also happens. Tougher place to survive than we think. Sorry to burst your bubble but T1 college can also be asked to leave. It's entirely upto to your partner of he likes you or not. If he does, 7 khoon maaf.

Also, to inform you, even partners get asked to leave. Even rainmaking partners get treated badly and leave at times. Good luck.