Read 48 comments as:
Filter By
What is up with the new NUALS VC? Constant watch on kids through cameras, strict uniform measures, telling kids with terminal illnesses that it's their fate and not the college's problem and forcing attendance requirements, normalised sexual harassment culture, no help for placements from the admin, 7+ hour classes, professors that can't cater to a pan India crowd (madam/sir idk Malayalam, but I still pay 2 lakhs same as my neighbour), how is this an NLU? Do other NLUs relate or is it just us?
Tier-1 NLUs also have some bad teachers but not this bad. This seems to be a NUALS problem and more broadly, a tier-2 and 3 NLUs issue.
voh bhi ho raha hai.. admin bandh, acad bandh, library terrace bandh, reading rooms bandh, har jagah camera 🀣
all professors aren't that good, but not catering to a pan india crowd is absolute bs
Getting into NUALS as of now after giving CLAT 2024. Could you elaborate upon this? Also, is it worth applying in vacancies to NLU Odisha? I've heard a variety of different opinions and they all seem to be stating that both of them are relatively similar and that both of them aren't great or pathetic either.
The Mallu vs Non- Mallu divide is getting worse day by day. As a fellow non-Mallu NUALSite I feel extremely out of place over here and hate that the college functions more on the lines of a state university rather than an NLU. If not for the reduction in state domicile quota, NUALS admin should consider appointing non-Mallu Professors and staff. But then again, pretty sure the admin doesn't give a damn
As a non Mallu in NUALS this was my constant struggle! You have only Mallu catering fests and events to the point where you don’t even want to attend anymore. You have speeches and seminars in Malayalam. The state quota needs to be reduced it feels like a state college rather than an NLU (I mean the VCs always compete with KLA and KU so what can you expect?)
This is a serious issue because even the faculty largely speaks Malayalam. Some faculties like ambiliy use malayalam movie references very frequently to teach her subjects. It makes it very difficult for the non-mallu students to learn the subject and even lose interest after a point due to the hardcore language barrier.

Malayalam is prefered over english in all kinds of gatherings like fests, student discussions, faculty interactions with the students, etc. It is very difficult for the non-mallus to have any kind of involvement for inter-college or inter-state fests in the long run.

This was a serious problem I have noticed my seniors have faced too and unfortunately it only seems to be getting worse. There seems to be no possible change/remedy.

The non-mallu alumni can only recommend against joining such a university which does not function on the lines of an NLU nor does it deserve an NLU tag considering the inefficiency of the NUALS Admin.
The Vice-Chancellor Siri Jagan told a cancer patient (junior) that it's her fate and that he cannot help her with attendance issues. (LI please post this comment. The VC needs to be held accountable for lack of basic humanity)
the admin does not care at all, and the situation is horrible for females students. thriving sexual harassment culture without any support from collegemates or faculty, hostel administration that barge into your rooms after 11pm to take "attendance" loool .....representations are sent every year but who even cares? the ex-registrar is rumoured to run the entire university, everyone are like his goondas, the student welfare in charge is a creep like half the guys here. this is no NLU, tier-2 or 3, this is just a private state university... it's sad bcs there is extremely high potential for this place to grow. the mooting scene is getting much better placements may be looking up and some of the professors are brilliant. but overall this university is hell!!
For now, just keep your head down, and try to maximise whatever little is provided here. The student body is supportive enough if you're willing to put yourself out there, and there's a growing number non-native students to help the diversity (idk if that's fortunate or unfortunate). With respect to the professors, sometimes there's an issue of the mode of instruction, they often provide English translations as a favour to those who don't follow the native language and not just as a general norm (I was also asked to learn Malayalam, in class hehe which I guess is reasonable to an extent), but it's still manageable.

A senior had once exclaimed how at NUALS at least we learn how to thrive in the wild- so there you go, something to take away from it all.
teams from nuals have been doing better at moots for the past few years, we won Nelson Mandela 2023 and qualified to Jessup 2022, FDI 2023, KCL HSF 2023 Worlds. '24 guy received a PPO from INDUSLAW in his 3rd year, and WG took in a whole bunch. the upcoming batches are only going to achieve greater things, but the sad thing's the efforts are all theirs and theirs alone. there are no good coaches for even moots like jessup or price. there is no faculty or admin support for placements. even a small improvement like having classrooms open is a big bureaucratic process. the attendance rules are purposely difficult to understand even for people who intend to make a career out of understanding confusing documents. medical and health problems are considered publicity stunts even if they are very serious. life for non mallus is more difficult in campus than outside, with even important vc meetings happening in malayalam sometimes. the interim vc apparently continues the habit of using the emergency vehicle for personal use. the student community at nuals is to blame as well, but we are also tired. if there is anything good about the university it is what the students have cultivated through their hard work with no support.
firms pls come to nuals, our students are achieving all this despite a 7 hour class requirement and an unwilling admin; imagine what they could do in corp πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­
The truth about nuals is, whatever the students achieve there, the credit is theirs alone and the university cannot take it away from them
There are not enough hostel on campus and a lot of first years have to stay off campus in private hostels and the university does nothing to help them or their situation. An NLU should be a fully residential insitution unlike NUALS where they can't even provide accomodation for its students. The NUALS administration is completely useless and will not do anything to help you during your time here.
Teachers really do hold attendance over everyone's heads, they dont help with placements nor do they help with attendance requirements for internships, very rarely do they ever understand and since our classes only end by 4, there's no way anyone can intern post class hours.

There was a NIMLAC thread in LI a while back and the prop is ready (has been for 2 years) and the students are ready to work but the admin never gives a green light. They always say that there's no funds everytime but the budget always shows allocation for the moot. God knows where our fees are going!
it's not like the area is safe either... we don't even get to use the campus facilities because of this - library, gym, reading rooms, access to seniors, everything!
I’ve been seeing that β€œnew girls hostel building” being built since 2018 I think. After the pandemic they completely gave up on it. Rumour is because the interim VC had inaugurated it Sunny refused to continue construction. And now they can’t even construct anymore because of the dilapidated condition. The situation in nuals is honestly pathetic when it comes to getting anything done with the administration. It feels like the VC and registrar do whatever they want irrespective of the college it’s like they want everything to be a PR stunt. Firing teachers for asking what qualifications certain β€œprofessors” who don’t even teach and lead a fake center have. So many good professors have left NUALS over the last few years due to the unnecessary drama that happens with the teachers council. The entire college is just a shit hole for all kinds of politics.
NUALS and National? No way! Any sane soul would know what N in NUALS stand for.

Teachers: How many of them can even converse in proper English? One of them takes student seminars from the very first class to avoid lectures. Another senior one runs on β€˜accent’. Few of them runs bogus centres . Ever thought of asking about qualifications of these people ? Well one of the former employees did . He was forced to leave. Administration: Voyeuristic pleasure is what unites most imbeciles in administration here. β€˜Watching’ students 24/7 relieves their sexual frustration. Adminsitration reminding a terminally ill student of her fate is just a stark reminder of the unsympathetic and unapologetic money-minded group which runs this school. Hostel is a mess. Rumours say that a huge sum was siphoned off from Hostel funds during (by) β€˜Sunny’ days. Corruption and casteism reign supreme.

Witnessing the ’withering away’ of a law school.
We have no faculty to teach electives, we have electives being taken out, faculty with zero experience teaching subjects, no update on syllabus.
Yeah yeah, everyone who marks you badly for your shoddy work has got a vendetta against you. Cry me a river.
NUALS admin is one of the most corrupt admins amongst any NLU. The fact that the cleaning staff had to protest for not having been paid their salaries (a very pitiful amount) since months is proof of that. The EX VC also created a new post prior to the completion of his tenure, only for him to appoint 'himself' for that post. The interim VC uses the emergency vehicle for personal purposes. Moot and mess reimbursements have not been paid to students, some even more than four 'years'. The admin also makes sure to reduce the attendance percentage of students so that they can rake in on condonation fees. The new hostel building construction has been pending since 2018. The only reason why the batch size of the 2028 batch was increased substantially was because now the admin needs more 'funds' from fees after literally looting students' money. The 2028 batch was also promised that they would be provided accommodation in college, which was never the case as there isn't enough accommodation on campus. Funds allocated for NIMLAC (more than 11 lakhs per year) have suddenly 'disappeared'. A professor who conducted a recent seminar managed to take away around 9 lakhs. Funds allocated to Centres also mysteriously disappear somehow. Other facilities such as the gym are not being maintained and equipments are never repaired. Super sick of this. Talented students in NUALS suffer on a daily basis because of this. My only hope is that this LI thread will somehow change things for the better, but as always, the admin doesn't give a damn.
Facts, only correction to the above comment is that, it's the former registrar, let's call him X, who made a post for himself prior to his retirement, which he was forced to take because of this age and as per the eligibility criteria. X, with his influence made a special post prior to his retirement and got appointed to the same post. Even though the post of registrar was vacant for almost 6 months, there was no appointment made and the University was still under X's control. Rumours are, the current registrar is also a puppet of X. When the issue came to light that X is pulling this, he took up another post at some other law college in Kerala. But the people that X appointed still remain in the administration and they're the most creepiest bunch of people you can find anywhere.
An addendum : (From what i ascertained from two alumni and a NUALS faculty ) Sunny wanted a Professor post and wanted to be the Vice Chancellor again . It was thwarted by the then Chancellor (owing to serious allegations and complaints against him. Rumoured that even few teachers wrote to the Chancellor about his misdeeds) .

X wanted to be perpetual Registrar and manipulated creation of a Special Officer’s post .Was appointed to this post after β€˜stepping down’ from his intended -perpetuity . Now it’s a cover up with another post he has taken up in some public corporation in Calicut . But he has been given a lien on his post at NUALS (ironically lien was denied to two former full time teachers ) . Mr X is omnipresent and is scheduled to return any time . These people have amassed disproportionate wealth during their tenures . There should be an independent judicial /vigilance enquiry into all appointments made and other financial misdeeds during the term of X and Sunny.

And fortunately there are few who have detailed information regarding these . Will try to get info.

Bottom line : students here are victims paying huge sums upfront for below-par services . Students are cash cows for them . They don’t give a damn about student welfare ; with the welfare officer being the biggest jerk.
Is this so called NUALS faculty an ex assistant professor who plundered the hostel mess fund while he was the warden? If so you can probably ask him why he was served with a memo. I am pretty sure that’ll be a more β€œjuicy” information. Kudos.
Mate , Seems like the one who plundered(ing) mess funds (and not any ex) is feeling insecure now. Few mess committee members have copies of audit reports of yester years and seems like things are gonna come out in the open now.

It also seems that the former dictator served memos at will to many during his reign to cover up for his corruption. Doesn't seem worthwhile seeking reasons for the same from any of them.(Also being unsure of the specific 'he', seems like a waste of time).

And seems like nothing is more 'juicy' than the 'guns and girls' guy in the campus (and in some odd places at odd times).
have you guys tried engaging with the chancellor? write to him and ask to meet him in person.
β€˜X’ did not in fact join a law college my dear friend. You made a lot of claims like you have first hand information but went wrong there. Nice try tho.
very sad but not one bit shocked to hear this. almost every T2/T3 law school is in the same shape. i can assure you that nothing will change till the students take out a HUGE protest and get some national and local attention on it. your detractors will tell you that this will bring a bad name and it will affect placements etc. - the truth is that it wont. There is no recruiter who will decide not to come simply because there was a protest at the place. recruiters care about a different set of things and as long as you can develop those skills, it wont be a problem. If anything you might even get some points for being people who are enterprising and are willing to do things.

So get together, identify your key asks, engage with the alumni and the wider public and shower the hell fire on those idiots in the admin and the faculty. I see from the web-page that your acting vc was a former judge and typically these guys are very concerned about their public image - so dont waste time and strike when the iron is hot.

Complaining here wont change anything. this is at best a forum for people to signal each other that there are people who think alike.
This exactly, the only thing that can bring about any change is contacting the upper management councils or student protests.
um protests are gonna just fuck up our careers. the last time something like that happened, the faculty and admin just retaliated by failing the people involved unnecessarily and the opaque system just facilitated all that
I can understand that fear. but without taking risks, there are no benefits. you will have to get onto some collective action and deal with the problem. Reach out to the alumni, engage with the chancellors office and the other important people in the EC.

What I can assure you is that writing posts here will not change anything one bit.
The NUALS admin is so horrible that now they've even managed to fuck up students' placements. Some tier 1 firms were supposed to come to campus for Day 0 but then a senior Professor got into a fight with some of them and now they've blacklisted our students. This is scary. There are so many talented students here who deserve decent career prospects but even that's pretty much ruined because of the admin. I know LI is a platform where we can voice out our frustrations and hope for something but is a protest required? Won't the professors take it out on us if we protest? Is it a viable option?
A 36-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 13-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 53-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 43-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 11-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 32-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.