Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Lack of interest towards science and commerce + lack of options in arts = law :/
2023's Prominent Supreme Court Constitution Benches such as Same Sex Marriage Equality Case, Abrogation of Article 370 Case and Electoral bonds scheme case and Senior Advocates like Mr. Kapil Sibal, Mr. Gopal Sankarnarayanan, Mr. AMS, Mr. Rohatgi, Miss. Menaka Guruswamy Miss. Katju, Mrs. Karuna Nundy, Mr. Prashant Bhushan and many other prominent jurists way arguing the cases. They inspired me to take up the Profession.

P. S - I am already a UG in some other field. Right now prepping for CS and will pursue law later on.
Was declared permanently unfit for the defences forces after I got reccomended in my final semester of BA. Chose the next best easiest to get through exam on low prep
Tldr; parental pressure.

Background:

I did not want to get into engineering or medicine, went for Science stream in 12th, only to ensure that parents would not be offended that I chose some other stream, despite securing more than enough score for Science stream.

I come from a financially okay background. Despite my immense grief towards my parents for dumping their ill-informed choices onto me, I can NEVER deny that they worked really hard to give us a good life; I know I am hugely privileged when I say that I do not know what hunger looks like. I shall be ever grateful to them for that. Unfortunately, my parents are SUPER traditional and very conservative regarding marriage and family-roles. I stress on family, because other contemporaries belonging to similar circumstances and same community do not face this. The community I belong to is known to be though gradually, but progressive, especially in the metros.

Back to the main story:

Papa decided khud se that I shall NEVER be enough to become a CA. Reason: "Girls are not good at maths".

Mummy-Papa purane khayalaat waale, saying that "only" Bachelor/ traditional degree has no scope (in marriage market, since in our community, education is VERY highly valued.). They had decided that this female offspring of theirs' would not be allowed to pursue MBA, on account of the fEmAlE + maths combo. Note: I was decent, if not exceptional at Mathematics. [Also note: My maths skills would have been perfectly fine according to them, if I pursued engineering. Yep, despite engineering calling for seriously exceptional mathematical aptitude, way beyond my skills. The hypocrisy stumps me till date.]

They decided that I was to pursue a professional degree (read: better for the marriage market). I was TOLD to get myself admitted into some no-name law college of a local University, since there was no entrance exam in my State at that time for local Universities, and hence I would be admitted on the 10+2 score. I was straight out told that I would not get money for any other course. I had secured admission at a good college in a really good stream, but I was chaperoned to get it cancelled. Law degree from that local college was not very expensive. My 5 year course fees made up just a little over one-year course fees of their darling prince's engineering fees.

It was further decided by them, Papa in particular, that a law degree would ensure I would be able to look after household responsibilities post marriage, since I would have to work only for one-half each day, if of course, my future husband and his family would allow it. Yes, the considerations of a hypothetical husband and his hypothetical family were placed above the desires of a 17-year-old daughter.

I still have no clue where did they get this half-day waala concept from.

Bear in mind that we don't have any relative or acquaintance in this field.

I resisted the best I could. You cannot do much when somebody else has access to all the money, while you have access to none, and entirely lack the basic smartness to go about in the world. All in the name of "protectiveness" and "keeping the girl within her limits", lol. Honestly, I asked, what about the uber-competitive girls my age? Wouldn't they any day make a better match to a "high value groom" from our education oriented community? But hey, who am I to ask questions? I was told to my face that I was dumb and did not understand how the world works.

Thus I came to be sentenced to 5 years of law "school", specifically a no-name, no placement-game college. Not allowed to intern during college months because I would apparently fail otherwise.

I had always been a diligent and decent student, right from freaking KG. Despite my University's infamous paper assessment, I sailed through very comfortably, across all semesters. I am dead sure I'd have done that, even if I was allowed to take up more internships.

Having nowhere to go, no social currency, no way that any contact/ reference be provided by my folks, I surrendered myself to litigation. As a first-gen, everyone on this platform knows what my position might be. Choice toh hai nahi

Now I have a measly stipend, have become extremely anxious and paranoid, highly distrustful, and cynical. No money, no joy. No clients of my own. All that i do in courts is seeking adjournments. I have completed two years since enrollment. The senior sends me in when the court is definitely going to rip through the senior. Doesn't even let me tender a joint appearance in other matters. Parents refuse to acknowledge the unwavering sadness and disappointment I experience on a daily basis. Oh, BTW, now I occasionally am taunted as to how difficult it will be for them to get me married off, since I don't make money. Suddenly half-day concept is out of the window.

The only good that has come from those five years is that unwittingly, my parents ended up paying for something that has made me an "unabashed feminist". Why so? Well, at least I have been somewhat standing up for myself now. Straightway rejected the very prospect of a suitor from a random Taluka place, when they tried to set things up right during the 2020 Covid wave, when I was actually shit scared as to whether or not my last sem exams would be conducted.

I try to convince myself, hoping that they did not know better, or that they meant well. I like to believe that they do not know, or are due to some act of God, unable to comprehend how dejected I am in life. It is not easy though. Especially when they have lived in a Tier-1 metro for over three decades. When I see that my father is seen as an asset at the company where he has been employed at a very high position from almost the above said period. Their compulsion has not gotten them what they wanted, and has ensured that I shall never get what I want.

I understand that this sounds super whiny. There is significant diversion from the question asked in the thread. Probably mods might think this is irrelevant and not publish it. It was cathartic to type this out. For the first time ever, I have made actual use of the anonymity provided by any platform, for my own selfish purpose.

I don't know if it is of any use, but on whatever sliver of an okay day I have, if ever, I wonder what it would be like to pick up the pieces. Perhaps, I may survive here, even if thriving is not what I can comment upon right now.
Oh my god. What a story. Gives me a jolt ! I can speculate this girl is from Maharashtra ?
You write so very well. Which city are you based in? You'd be an asset to any office.
Maybe in content writing, yes.In the legal industry, u don't know. One attribute doesn't make a person fit for the entire system. I
2 years into te prof and still clueless like a fresher? damn, you need to reconsider your life plan girl.