Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
Based on my limited experience of around a year in the field (based in Panchkula-Chandigarh):

1. A typical chamber practice is usually localised in one court only, with limited areas of practice.

2. A litigation firm usually practice across multiple forums in that area (a small firm would practice in limited areas of practice whereas a bigger one would have multiple areas of practice).

Chamber vs litigation firm:

1. In a typical chamber practice, since it caters to only one court, you can observe the court the whole day. You can go to and fro from chamber to court and vice versa multiple times a day. You'd learn the ins and out of the practice. This you'll find missing in litigation firm.

2. In litigation firm, since you are travelling to various forums, you get a wider experience. And more practice areas of law (usually). Travelling can be joyful or a pain in the tochus depending upon the person and the working environment. This you'll find missing in chamber practice.

3. In terms of pay, both are bad. But here firms pay a little to freshers, whereas chambers pay nothing/or a paltry sum. But the little amount that a firm pays usually gets spent in travelling. So not very good on either case.

Eg: I work with a chamber whose main work is in criminal. Although I love the variety of criminal laws I get to work with, like traditional IPC crimes (Magesterial and sessions trial cases in IPC), WCC (PoCA, PMLA), etc. But then I miss out on the work in civil laws and tribunal work. Although I hope to spend my initial years grinding in other forums/areas of practice as well.

Thank you for reading. Hope it helps a little. Would love to read others' experiences and opinions.