Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Hey Guys can someone tell me about how is BPCL( Bharat Petroleum Limited) as an in house counsel role ? They seem to be paying well. What are the growth opportunities?
I have been constantly advocating against taking up inhouse roles with PSUs. Having worked with a sister company of bpcl, I would certainly never recommend any sane person joining these organizations. Paywise they don't stand even close to what T1s pay. In case you're looking for a good work-life balance, certainly you should consider PSU as an option. Otherwise, there's zero learning as the counsels, day in and day out, only review the template Agreements prepared by a law firm. Moreover, they can't even stand close to what their counterpart with less than half no of years' experience can deliver, both work product and knowledge. There's so much red tapism and bureaucracy in the system that you will end being part of the same. I tried ignoring the shit going around, but couldn't sustain it beyond 2y and resigned. Interestingly, the work culture in PSUs is still the age old culture where you're required to call your seniors "sirs"/"madams". Getting a promotion is another challenge, as it purely depends on the no of years you've spent in the organization. Meritocracy is something that's unheard of in a PSU. Butt licking prevails accross departments. Trust me guys, if you're serious about personality development pls don't even think of joining a PSU. I was a lateral hire and was shocked to see the culture - basic etiquettes were questionable. It appeared you're in a jungle, where only king is heard! Bullshit place!
Certainly, the CTC would be 18L. However, the calculation of CTC is made at maximum of bonus component, which you'll never be able to get. There several factors which limit your max drawn bonus to around 50%. The in hand would be peanuts, nowhere closer to the CTC. If money is Considerable factor to decide, you'll be at a substantial loss.
Then put of this 18L, how much is the actuall in-hand? And how much is the max possible bonus component?
You'll certainly retire as an executive director if you're "aligned" with the management. Otherwise, you might retire at a GM level with basic equivalent to the CMD, with lesser perks. GM is 2 levels below ED.
I worked here for quite a while. I made a successful ( I would like to think so) transition to private sector. There 2-3 bright minds who can actually teach you. Rest are just counting their pensions and PFs. The salary is a sham. After 30 per cent tax, PF deduction, food and cafeteria deductions, your in hand money is pitiable. The upside is that you get unlimited medical insurance for your parents, spouse and children.

You gradually lose touch with practice of law and your legal concepts become long lost memories. Also you would be transferred and bounced around various locations without any sense or logic every 4-5 years but not if you have political or bureaucratic connections.

The head of the legal department would be someone who did a law degree because they had time to kill instead of a seasoned legal professional. The senior professionals avoid any public speaking engagements, any participation in forum discussions and just track legal updates through law firm newsletters and WhatsApp updates.

The saddest part is the entire legal practice of crude import, spot trading, LNG contracts, sale of gas and crude and other ancillary items which is usual on oil and gas industry is outsourced to various firms. The only work is vetting legal filings in case matters, rigorously updating the internal MIS software, and clearing title of land on which petrol pumps would be opened. Anything more than that, it’s beyond the technical grasp of the incumbents.

It’s what the PSU culture has become. Sadly, usage of online resources, journals, attending and speaking at seminars is all discouraged. Some people do not even keep abreast of the cases they are handling.

Working in BPCL, IOCL or HPCL or ONGC for that matter is the aim and dream of bank lawyers who in the scheme of things are below the PSU lawyers in terms of salary and emoluments. Funnily, they call themselves corporate lawyers, but ask them to work late nights for a week, they will collapse of exhaustion.

And yes, you have to give up and lose cases because of political pressure. Essentially, join if you have something on the outskirts of professional life that needs your attention on a constant basis.
What would your advice be for someone who purely looks at the job to earn a basic stable income, and use the work life balance to maybe trying a side hustle to do something of his/ her own?

Trying a side hustle is almost impossible in a top law firm, and yes, while the pay may be great, the work is often mundane and mind numbing in certain practice areas.
What about competitive exam prep like CAT n judiciary in premises? Also holiday scene for prep?
I do have a job but I would clarify almost everything in this response.

1. Prep scenes for civils and judiciary - yes possible but please do make it. Because if you fail and have to stay back at the organisation, be sure to face some flak and lack of growth because of your prep.

2. Intellectual stimulation nahi chahiye toh anything can keep you engaged.

3. For switch to private sector, you will have to lie on your CV and read up and pray to god you get lucky. Anybody (up to some extent me also) who has moved out of PSUs has lied about the quality of work they did. It is easy to go into litigation. You need to read up in relation to the sector you want to shift to.

4. Anybody who wants a CTC breakup, please ask the HR once you join. Emoluments keep changing depending on the profitability so it’s difficult to put a number. You’ll get somewhere between 60-75k. Also depends if you have a vehicle, you get a fuel allowance, if you don’t stay in company accommodation, you get additional HRA. So you get the general idea.

ProMotion and all is very subjective. You are the bottom feeder as a part of the legal department and will be treated as so because at the end of the day, you’re a cost centre and not a fee earner. So you’ll be treated as such.

The promotion of legal departments will not be prioritised, your legal retreats or off sites will not have adequate budgets, you’ll not get good journal subscriptions or access to paid online resources.

Most importantly, you’ll forget everything about the practice of law after a while. But it’s good for people who want to chill in life, go on 2-3 holidays a year( not swanky European holidays because lulz… not paid enough), have side hustle and whatnot, concentrate on other stuff.
Well that’s quite detailed, I wanted to know a few things- 1. Given we are lawyers can we expect the postings to be only in metro cities if not can you give a few names maybe.

2. Say money is not a consideration and I’m looking at something just to keep me engaged and not seeking intellectual stimulation would you recommend the same? (Also could you maybe give more details about PSBs if you are aware of the same)

3. How to work towards making a shift to the private sector in case one is interested and what sort of companies would be open to hiring us?

Thank you
1. Legal is primarily posted in HQOs. However, there may be a few regional offices which might often require legal interactions. Still you will posted in T2 cities, not beyond.

2. Certainly, you can consider PSU/PSB as an option. PSBs are equally pathetic.

3. Honestly, there'll be hardly any consideration in pvt/law firm. Most recruiters know that PSB/PSU employees are rarely knowledgeable. Moreover, they lack basic etiquettes and desire to learn.
Can you give a breakdown of the CTC please- all any additional perks say free housing/car?
Excellent comment and such comments make LI worthwhile… On a related note, time to privatise all PSUs!!
I think Bank is a little better in that regard but work hours even in a banking PSU aren't great. A friend regularly reaches home around 8-9.
What’s the pay like over there? And a few perks that your friend gets (if any)
What do you want?

BPCL = Good salary with 10 to 5 job. Zero learning or career advancement thou.