Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
Hi I m 1st year law student and started reading some landmark judgements and I am just baffled to see such long judgement having infinite case laws in them. How should I approach reading it to get the maximum out of it? Any suggestions or tips??
Also if u can share some imp. judgements which I should read to improve my intellect.
Start small. Before you tackle Tikaramji and Heochst in your consti federalism courses, be comfortable with having read Carbolic Smokeball and Lalman Dutt type cases in contracts.

Read the leading torts and contracts cases (instead of relying on the summary of Bangia). Take the simpler ones - Rylands, Hadley, Victoria Laundries, Re Polemis, Wagon Mound first. Then progress to Donoghue and Hedley Byrne types.

Try reading the old English cases from the hard copy law reports - the report will often set out the arguments of counsel before the text of the judgment. First understand the facts and arguments, try and figure out how you will decide. Then read how they have actually decided.

Read 1 case a day. You will at the end of the year have become a completely different person in terms of your legal skills.
Finally someone on LI who knows law, or at least knows how to study law, and not just a due diligence machine