Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
"I'm an intern who frequently visits the Bombay High Court just to observe, and I'm in awe of the way the seniors argue. I'm scared that I won't be able to argue in a similar way with so much knowledge and technical expertise. Do all lawyers become proficient with experience? How do they land significant cases and get featured in news articles and websites with interviews and articles?"
There's nothing like expertise. Just contacts, bribing, corruption, communication gaps management and fooling clients.
You will of course learn on the job. I am a junior practicing lawyer and am intimidated by the more senior members of the bar. The only way to learn is to start arguing- whenever an opportunity arises and however scary it seems. You don't need to land significant cases to learn court craft. Arguing a basic surrender application, a transfer petition or a simple notice/ admission matter would be a good starting point. Make contacts with other lawyers, college seniors and their friends. A lot of lawyers actually like allowing junior lawyers to argue their low-stake matters (without any monetary incentives at times). Also, when you are a younger member of the bar, the judges are also more likely to give you more leeway. Every time you see good senior and even younger lawyers argue, see how they navigate the bench and answer questions. If you choose to go into litigation you will get this opportunity naturally. The most important skill for any practicing lawyer is the ability to read a bench- which can only come over time. Knowledge and technical expertise on the other hand are a life-long learning thing- which can't be taught be seeing others argue. In any case, most people learn these skills over time. It is up to you, how willing you are to learn them. Best of luck!