Read 33 comments as:
Filter By
I'm an first gen lawyer, how hard will it be for me to get into litigation and earn well compared to a third gen lawyer?
Extremely hard. Current economic scenario does not leave margin to litigate. Litigation was and continues to be only for person born with a silver spoon. People say that you have to be patient for 10 years in litigation. What they don't mention is that success is not guaranteed even after 10 years.

There are soo many young and old lawyers coasting through corridors of Delhi HC , Supreme Court and other Tribunals.

Save your career Bhai. I did a mistake. I am trying hard to do an MBA
1st Gen vs 3rd Gen is a trivial comparison. The real tug of war is between those who are bestowed with generational privilege versus the rest. If you have any consequential generational privilege, for instance, if your daddy is an established businessman or a high ranking banker/ CEO/ politician with a national party engaged in national politics, you are sorted. However, generational privilege is just the "thrust." A minimum IQ of 120 is the escape velocity needed to get to the top in today's India. An elephant's memory - think of it as your jet fuel for the trip!
but how does a third gen lawyer have it better than me? like will he get more cases because of his father or what? and I am really passionate about arguing and i have good speaking skills, i have won many competitions, corporate job is tiresome, you may earn 15L p/a but is that worth anything when you can't be your own boss, be happy or be ready to answer seniors even at 3 am
but how does a third gen lawyer have it better than me? like will he get more cases because of his father or what?

Everything and anything you can think of
my brother's friend was a third gen lawyer but he chose to go into corporate, isn't that stupid of him then to let go of that opportunity?. or is litigation not good even for third gen lawyers leave alone first gen
his reasoning was that he did not want to take the risk of litigation, but if there is a risk of litigation for third gen lawyers too then can first gen lawyers try it too
He will come back after a few years. Mark my words. It's a great strategy by family owned firme to have corporate experience for next generation. One of my friends did the same with T1.
Hi,

I am a first gen, belong to a lower middle class family, having a rural background.

I am still a student somewhere in Noida/Delhi.

Have built enough that I can go independent right after law school.

If I can do it, you can too!
why the hell are these messages not moderated yet, how slow can this be?
Can we connect somewhere?Or can u elaborate a bit more as to how you were able to do it?
First Gen lawyer. Independent practitioner from the south. 9 YOE. First five years were hard, little pay and low confidence. After that, it's been a steady increase. I make around 500,000 per month and I work around 40 hours a week. There is fantastic flexibility, growth trajectory, independence, and confidence about life in litigation.

As an independent practitioner, there is zero drama in life and the future looks like a fertile pasture.

If you think you can endure on a mere subsistential allowance for the first five years, do choose litigation. It is worth it.
10 yrs down the line, law firm partners can only imagine what you can make. Kudos.