Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
I’ve always travelled in my own car back in Delhi. I don’t usually commute by public transport as I feel claustrophobic in public transports and I don’t like 2 wheelers as well as it is not for me. Uber/Taxi is an option but I would like to travel in my own vehicle in commuting back and forth from my office. So is it prudent for an A0 to buy a car in his first year? Planning buy but a second hand hatchback. Is there anyone in their initial years who travels by their own car?
Not prudent to buy your own car in Bombay. Insane traffic on all routes (Eastern Freeway is a namesake freeway, these days I have been told that the traffic on this road is also insane). The best option would be to use the AC local, as it is usually not too crowded, due to the monthly passes being slightly expensive. Assuming your office is in Lower Parel and your residence is somewhere in Andheri or Bandra, that is not too hectic a commute. Alternatively, if your office is in Parel / Lower Parel, and if you have taken an apartment on rent in the same area, you can walk to work everyday.
Buying a car can work provided you know which road to take and when.

Eastern Freeway which goes through Chembur/ Wadala (cheaper rent where some associates stay) - you can definitely drive your own car, but you have to leave before 9am as the road gets clogged 9:30am - 11am. This works if your office is in Fort. You can reach office from Chembur within 30-40 mins. By local it takes an hour from Chembur.

If your office is in Lower Parel, you will need to cross over to the β€œWest” side of the city, so do consider 15-20 mins more for the traffic on the bridge in the morning.

I have assumed you are staying in Chembur for this.