Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
Starting a tax law internship soon. Would like to see if this is for me and want to make a career out of it, because I guess the money is good. Any tips, suggestions or advice?

Also what are some great tax firms/practices?
Only go for it, if you are really really interested in tax laws.

I have interned in both Direct and Indirect Tax teams, imo indirect tax laws are more complicated and boring.

LKS,NDA, ELP, DMD, Lumiere, BMR, Vaish, KCo
NDA does very little IDT, more of international tax focused firm. DMD has recently recruited an indirect tax partner, so some focus seems to be there.
nishith desai should be good. but try to join a chambers of a senior advocate with tax matters. there is no match for that! law firms mostly do paper work. real tax law work happens in courts.
Could you please name some seniors in that field to whom I could reach out to? It would be a great help, thank you.
If you are really interested in tax. You should join chambers of likes of JD Mistry, Percy Pardiwala in Mumbai. Ajay Vohra, Salil Kapoor in Delhi. Padamchand Khincha in bengaluru & of course Arvind Datar in Chennai..
Unsolicited Advice : Before joining any such chambers, sit in ITAT courtrooms for at least 3 weeks. Preferably Mumbai or Delhi. Sit in different courtrooms everyday. But sit from start to finish. Try to make notes of cases you get to hear & go through them at evening. Do this at least Monday to Thursday. You will have a feel of tax cases that can be had from nowhere else.