Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
I dont think this stupid work ethic of law firms is gonna be my thing. I have time ... i just wanna bail out.
Absolutely a good idea. Go for it! Best option is to go abroad (anywhere will do). After that:

- IIM A/B/C or ISB

- IIM K/L/I or SP Jain or FMS Delhi or top IITs

- Lower tier IIMs or Lower tier IITs or places like FORE, MICA etc.

- Various private colleges or non-MBA management courses

The only reason why not many lawyers don't go for MBAs is that they are weak in maths and their GMAT/CAT score suffers. But these days B Schools are looking to diversify intake, especially for girls, and they can relax a bit. Also, a good exam coach can help you a lot.
Depends on why you want to do an MBA. If having diverse job profiles and more exposure to different domains is what you're seeking you can go for it.
However, money-wise and working hours - not that different from law firms.
Nope.

MBA by and large adds no synergy to your law degree. So the combination itself, atleast in India (and even abroad afaik) is not more than the sum of its individual parts. Its pretty much the same as engineering + MBA, as both of those degrees are unrelated. The best job after an MBA that you can get (only available to the best students of IIMA and possibly one or two other colleges) is Investment Banking, which has worse hours than law (with higher pay)

That being said, MBA + law is good if you as an individual are able to reap the benefits of what you've learned in both these areas. This is best when you've worked in corporate law or in-house of a bank for atleast 2-3 years and then gone for an MBA.

People on LI who keep simping for MBAs have no clue about the real world. MBA is not a panacea for unemployment or an escape from bad work culture and hours. Many MBA grads not from the absolute top colleges are also suffering due to recession and jobless growth. There is not an endless , inelastic demand for MBAs in the world like fools on LI would have you believe. Additionally, the post MBA work life is also very toxic and has ungodly hours, but then again you will adjust like you do for a law firm. The difference comes down to the aptitude of the person and their likes and dislikes when it comes to an occupation.
Also remember, you may want to bail out today but never know how you'll feel 20 years from now. Doing an MBA opens up more opportunities, without closing your law options (should you need them later in your career).
First law itself is a very expensive course and then the MBA especially from the Top 20 B-schools is also very expensive. I am presuming that you have invested around 20 Lacs already in your legal education, then do you want to invest another 30 Lacs or so???

Are you sure of investing 50 lacs on education for a 20-25 Lacs CTC package out of Bschool? Yes, this is what 70-80% of the Top20 grads get and those 50 lac - 1 Cr are only offered to some 3-5 people in each top the 20 B-schools of whom mostly are CA Toppers with 2-3 years of experience in Top Corporates or IIT Engineers with 2-3 years of work experience in tech giants.

Like most of the people here have said, work life will suck in every profession. This is very true.
20L for a law degree from these motley Indian colleges is a waste. - an NLUD student unaffected by the fee hike