Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Do you sometimes feel that you could have gone the other way of writing the JEE/NEET or a UG followed up by an MBA or something else or are you content with what you took up on your sleeves? Are there days when you feel done with your cubicle? If yes, how do you keep going?

*No monetary talks
I am content, it's more like every job has some downsides to it. In law it is more working hours, in other places either it's changing technology or meeting targets. My friends who did JEE are now earning 8-10 Lakhs while working 10 hours a day, so it's kind of same everywhere.

Except working hours, I don't see a problem with my career. Though sometimes I think, if my family had the money I could have gone for some other stint like judiciary or UPSC, where the satisfaction would have been more, but the kind of money I need after my graduation made me join corp.
I stick to the hope that my next job could be better if the current one sucks. I take one week at a time. I know living for 1 or 2 days a week and slogging away for the rest is not great. But it helps me get by
Just another perspective here: I'm an engineer, qualified JEE/GATE and earned a master's degree from one of the old IITs. Yet i chose IP (patents) as a career and have honestly had second thoughts on most of the days due to extended working hours. I do read and see a lot of law graduates having 2nd thought. I guess it's part n parcel of the (Indian) work culture. My friends in core engineering domains have been complaining low pay and shift jobs. Friends working outside India are not satisfied as well. I'm not sure if there's anyone truly satisfied with his professional Or personal achievements. I guess it's meant to be like that! After all it's the human tendency!!
I think about having gone the engineering way instead. The time I would have graduated (2021) was peak for engineers in terms of placements. My sister is a software engineer and her work hours are 1000-1830. Saturday and Sunday off. I know it's not the same for all engineers but at least you can think of switching companies and getting a job with better work hours.

I don't believe there is a better corp team....all these teams require you to work 12 hrs a day and be always available.

It's only been 6 months and I feel like leaving everyday. I have developed migraine and adult acne. I am sure I will have high blood sugar if I get tested.
And how much is she getting paid in-hand (not CTC)? Please tell her starting salary to have a better scale of comparison.
I was a T1 Associate for a short while. I always maintained the philosophy that you cannot expect to be awed and thrilled by every hour or minute on the job. At the end of the day, even if you are doing what you love and enjoy, the fact that it has to be done repeatedly and its perfection is tied with your livelihood, you cannot expect to be happy all the time. I had to leave to take care of my family and became an entrepreneur for the time being. While it is equally arduous and stressful, meeting and interacting with people all day instead of just staring at a screen make it seem more dynamic. I am sure that it is just a matter of perspective though.
Working with documents all day takes out all the emotions required for necessary human interaction. While other industries also have 12 hour work shifts, often these include human interaction- which helps people keep their sanity.