Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Hi everyone, I'm a 4th year student at a decent private college and have above average grades and decent internships. What would be better strategy for a person like me - To try interning at T1 firms, with the hopes of getting ppo ( low chances) or doing long term internships at T3ish firms and try to get a PPO (Better chances) and later after some pqe then try for T1s.

Looking at the market, sometimes I feel 2nd option would be better for me because following 1st strategy might leave me unemployed 💀.

PLEASE HELP !! THANK YOU !!
in a bad market, T1s hire less cuz they have less money than before, but T3s dont hire at all because they have no money in comparison to before
Definitely a law student wrote this. In a bad market, a law firm would fire their seniors and hire juniors at a lower pay. And by senior, not SAs, but A2, A3 levels. Look at what Saraf is doing now. Law firms will never have a bad market, they always make money, because it's only consumer bearish now
Yea, I'll try interning at T1s till my final year start cuz anyways, T1s generally complete their hiring one year in advance.
I've done all my internships in gencorp only. So I think this option is not suitable for me.
If you can get T1 internships, go for them. They may hire lesser people, but they'll always make space for people they really like. I say this as someone who got offered a PPO offer at every single T1 firm I interned with, in the current market.

Even in the worst case scenario, references from T1 firms would help your CV far more than some random T3 firms.
Which batch are you in.

I interned with SAM last month and worked my ass off. (ONLINE). I was given a lot of work and I aced it, evident fron my feedback. However i was denied a callback or extension after calling the HR. I feel really depressed right now knowing it has all gone to water.
Hi, I'm from the class of 2024. On SAM, I know that their Delhi office offered a PPO to a junior recently, so I know that they don't have a hiring freeze either.

With respect to situation you described, a common scenario I've noticed people is that the associates/team on the face of it "like" some interns' work enough to wish them well and not say anything bad about their work, but it's not standout enough for them to recommend the person for a PPO. If this has happened with you, I would suggest reaching out to the people you've directly worked with and inviting suggestions on your work. More importantly, consider self-evaluating your performance and work ethic as well.

For future references, you should also remember that at most firms (with the exception of KCo because of its massive teams), your teams' PAs and Partners are the crucial people whose recommendation would matter. So, either you should have reached out to them for work organically, or gotten recommendations through multiple associates for them to feel that you merit their time and efforts in teaching and testing you.

This way, in the worst scenario, you'll at least walk out of the internship with a valuable reference on your CV.

Accordingly, if you did any of this and genuinely feel that you "aced" it, then you should promptly reach out to them and enquire if they'd be willing to refer you to another team at another firm. If you don't receive a response, then like I said, you may need to introspect on your performance and work ethic better — which is alright, it's a journey and you'll get there. All the best!
Hey, a 3rd year student here, when you say reference, what do you mean? Like a referral for internship or something else. Thank you
Did SAM offer the PPO before June? July is when the hiring freeze began.
Yes, I'm aware of more than one PPOs having been offered post July. There is no hiring freeze, kid.

Hate to put it harshly but in all probability, your actual feedback was simply not as good as you thought it was. It's time to let go of the "I aced it" assumption and learn to actually identify your mistakes and get better.
Friend, the job market for law is very bad. You should consider an MBA, unless you really want to practice law and nothing else.
The MBA market is also pretty bad. Know couple trainees who aren't getting converted.
Don't know why you're getting down voted. In law when corporate firms don't hire your only option is to perform free labour for an independent practitioner. In MBA even when the market is bad, the fresher salary is always enough for you to be able to sustain yourself. Job market across sectors is really bad. In law we have an already saturated labour marker, tough external conditions make it even worse.