Read 75 comments as:
Filter By
I ain’t talking about those twists where candidates having the same score are getting widely different ranks, no that’s not it. We all know consortium sucks. We are talking about the first provisional list here. The incoming and following twist and turns of clat 2024: -

1. Air 8 choosing GNLU. An amazing improvement in terms of prestige this year, GNLU has shown remarkable improvement in the merit lists and will show its charisma in the alter lists as well.

2. Nujs domicile till 988 already, we all know the college is going downhill (and my post is already downvoted by more than 30 Noojies) but hear me out. This is outrageous! A college of this level. This year the general domicile and nri sponsored cut for nujs off will be relaxing.

3. NLS didn’t surprise. Closed at AIR 97.

4. MNLU Mumbai stays consistent. However, the kind of students it receives every year- it just fails to produce the same outcome. What’s surprising is that they closed well even before 600.

5. More dramatic twists will be seen at NRI-S and further provisional lists. Let’s see what happens.
GNLU respects its toppers. They even fund the full tuition fee for their clat toppers (if anyone is within 1-50 in the all india level). It’s at least what I have read in the 2021-22 pdf of theirs.
Seconded. Whatever their flaws may be, GNLU has these small initiatives, like merit based scholarships that make a big difference. More NLUs need to adopt these student-friendly measures that make an actual impact.
to my knowledge this is incorrect and GNLU has the most extensive student financial support options introduced by the current vc. happy to stand corrected if other NLUs are also doing this, the more the merrier
Merit cum means scholarships for students of every year are there in NLSIU, NALSAR, NUJS and NLUD for sure that I'm aware of. Not sure about the others.
Not a single nlu is sponsoring 100% fee for tuition waiver. Plus a lot of scholarships for evened category of students.
NLS has an exclusively means-based scholarship. Get your facts right!
As far as merit goes, there is only the Birla Scholar programme that funds one student. It isn't one that is run by 'NLS' per se.
Lol everyone knows that the means based scholarship is not entirely on merit in NLs. It’s shady. So kindly get lost.
GNLU also gives out stipend (GLASS scheme) to students opting for Litigation. So, yeah admin support is not that awful.
can you pls elaborate? as a first gen litigator struggling to get by, this sounds interesting
15k per month to 15 students opting for litigation. Not a bad deal actually.
Is this for real? That's insane, why don't more NLUs adopt this? 15k will make a massive change to a new litigator. It'll at least cover rent. My first year of litigation had to be fully parent sponsored and I know many talented batchmates who didn't have that privilege. Kudos to GNLU
As someone who is not from GNLU, I still find their GLASS scheme to be an excellent initiative and something that other law schools should definitely emulate.
To all those suggesting about choosing Nalsar/NLUD over NLS probably could not crack NLS. NLS is and will remain the undisputed first choice of CLAT top rankers.
Bro I think NLS monopoly was over long back. Before NIRF and all started NALSAR had displaced them in many reputed rankings. As of now I would say we have entered an age where we have Tiers. Like Tier 1 A, Tier 1B and Tier 2 and so on. NLS, NALSAR and NLUD roughly make Tier 1A.
NALSAR hadn’t displaced NLS in any ranking except some India Today one back in 2009. But I agree that the NLS monopoly is more or less over now. NLUD will eventually take over if it continues to grow at the same pace.
What growth? It is currently on a downward curve with faculty leaving, placements going down, research centre activities dwindling.
Placements were only down this year, as they were for every other tier-1 NLU. And they will recover as more NLUD alumni reach senior positions. Maybe you forget quickly, but our student outcomes are still solid - Rhodes this year, UPSC top ranks, Ivy LLMs, etc. And which faculty has left since the mini-exodus of Arul, Aparna and Mrinal to NLS almost 2-3 years ago? And we have recruited folks to keep the faculty to student ratio similar. Research activities are still ongoing, just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Your placements in your hayday couldn't match the NLUs that you compare yourself to. Nor are you ever going to have more alum than those places in the recruiting organisations. As for faculty exodus, those were your best faculty and you didn't get any comparable replacement. You also conveniently left Harpreet Kaur leaving this year. As for research, the output is dwindling and everyone can see that. If you need to keep speaking of it instead of allowing it to speak for itself, then that's evidence enough. In the last two years, the research output has fallen far enough that even NIRF has taken note of and marked you low. Your NAAC grade has fallen too. Overall, no longer on an upward curve.
Okay hater, y’all don’t even know what an upward curve is but sure.
First, you have no idea on placements at NLUD and that's obvious. Our placements are just fine considering our smaller batch size of 80 and the fact that only half of that chooses to even join the RCC pool. And they've been consistently improving since the first batch graduated in 2013. Anyway, regardless, I don't really care for or see the point of your rant. Students at NLUD simply aren't as obsessed with placements in law firms like the college (NUJS or NALSAR probably) that you graduated from. We can't help it if you have a hard time digesting that fact.

And I thought you guys liked to claim that NIRF was full of sh*t but are now conveniently citing it to show the apparent declining research output. The journals section of the NLUD website alone should give you a reality check that research projects are still ongoing. And the NAAC grade is hardly something anyone cares for when choosing a law school, private unis like Symbi and SRM have A+ grades there. This is all a pointless debate since NLUD is rising and unless it shoots itself in the foot the way NLS did, it'll continue to get better and cement its place as the top law school in the country. And Harpreet Kaur was hardly considered one of the best faculty at NLUD (she's still pretty good for corp and an able admin at NLUJ) and she's on deputation only, the way Bajpai was at RGNUL. So she'll eventually be back. No one likes to leave NLUD since there's hardly any place that is much better, both locationally and academically. But you can keep crying in denial.
So basically you still don't have any parameter where you can show objectively that your grads are doing better, but would still like to claim otherwise. Got it. That's what NLUD trolls ultimately end up at.
Lol, an actually thought-out and reasoned response for your trollish rant and that's what you take from it. Not surprising that someone like you won't take anything in context. I'll tell you why we're better, kid, it's because we don't produce insecure bitter keyboard warriors like you who defend your own mediocrity. Objectively speaking, our research centres, faculty and diverse student outcomes (from litigation to B-school admits all the way to UPSC) still outshine your NLU's by a mile.
NLUD is firmly not in the debate here. They are comfortably below Nalsar and NUJS, and possibly GNLU.
I took CLAT coachin this year and that's what all our seniors and coaching alum told us, that NLUD is not as good as it used to be and NUJS / GNLU are better in some parameters
You've been misled then. Must be NUJS and GNLU alums spreading this nonsense, probably. NLUD has always been ahead of GNLU and these days, NUJS is good tier below as well.
Considering NLUD doesn't have any alum yet worth speaking of, only its trolls speak on behalf of it. The only people who talk about NLUD is on LI, that too anonymously. In the legal industry, be it any sector of it, there is nobody who considers NLUD students to be any better than those from NUJS. Never did, never will.
Contested because literally everyone acknowledges that NLUD is today far superior to NUJS.
Name a real person who has achieved anything worthwhile in the legal industry and thinks thus after working with grads from both the places.
Even the NALSAR folks can’t disagree with this. NLUD is the future of the top NLUs.
1. There's no dramatic twist there, every year some toppers choose to be closer to their home cities over more reputed NLUs. Now if this AIR 8 is from down south or east and still choosing GNLU, that would have been an anomaly.

2. Domicile 988 is unusual, but the choice has got more to do with all the bad press that NUJS gets than any real change in things. The grads are still doing the same as the last few years.

3. How? There are only 1/3 AIR gen seats at NLS now despite the increased batch strength of 300? I am assuming you meant only AIR gen seats. What's the last seat NLS domicile category got?

4. More to do with brainwashing of students by coaching centres, which is why these choices alone don't make much of a difference unless the university bucks up and uses the better students that it is getting to become better and deliver better performance.

5. Okay.
That's bad then. In line of that, I can understand the NUJS domicile going down to 900 plus easily.
when you mentioned 988 for nujs there, why did you miss nalsar's 930 for domicile-telangana? number of nujs haters on LI is too much.
58 ranks more is a simple matter of chance. also has to do w the fact that nalsar has 20% domicile and nujs has 30% domicile.
From what has been a trend in the past few months, the most number of fanboys on LI belong to GNLU and NLUD. The smallest of their events are reported with great enthusiasm. NALSAR does not have active people here. NLS and NUJS have students who report just negatives of their colleges, while omitting mention of good things happening there.
Maybe nujs and nalsar are really having problems? Come on man, don’t be so out of touch with the shortcomings of your college.
Every place has its problems and strengths. The point is to highlight those that are not being solved institutionally despite efforts, as compared to bringing every whatsapp debate to LI anonymously.
NALSAR folks are all over LI actually, that's simply a fact. There's just not too much going on over here for us to spam the site
You want to talk about “twists” in CLAT allotment and yet you missed one of the most basic things. 5 out of the top 10 CLAT ranks are not even joining NLSIU. 2 appear to have gone for NALSAR and 2 for NLUD, while 1 person is joining GNLU. It’s quite clear that the main attraction of top NLUs is the small personalised batch size that makes learning more engaging with peers and teachers. Messiah was of the opinion that the batch size increase at NLS won’t impact NLS as the toppers’ first choice but he is sorely mistaken and now it’s been proven. He's single-handed destroyed a place like NLS which had legacy advantages over literally every single rival NLU and that is actually his most remarkable achievement.

The quality of high intake private colleges like SLSP with 300 kids is pretty shit and while NLS is undoubtedly in a higher league than Symbi, a massive batch size will destroy the strong sense of community in the top NLUs which leads to even ordinary students achieving extraordinary outcomes.
As much as I hate to admit this, but the increased batch strength is definitely a negative.
I had predicted this on this very platform. However, overall NLSIU still seems to have closed by 350 odd rank including domicile. So not much harm done yet, though you're right. It will be incremental over the years, as the batch rank 50 realises that they are missing out on opportunities at NLSIU, which they wouldn't have at NALSAR, NLUD, NUJS etc where they would have had higher batch rank, less competition in moot and other activities etc.
When state government funding is almost non-existent and erratic, the easiest way to raise money is to increase the fees (25% hike over last year) and increase the batch size (60 more seats over last year), and NLS has done exactly just that. This will continue, one way or the other in the coming years as well, a consequence of NLS being a state university in a state that has failed to develop a single premier educational institution. All the ones in the state are national universities (IISc, IIMB, NIMHANS, ISI, NID, NIFT).
If Air 8 choosing gnlu is prestigious according to you then air 99 chose mnlu Mumbai then does it also make it a prestigious institution?just because there are domicile seats in nujs that doesn't make it go downhill if it is the case then even nls has a domicile rank up until 450s
Recently some threads were circulated about best faculty members in various law schools. NLUD fanbois dint have even a single name to mention.
Because that's exactly what you keep trying to do in all the LI threads? If you would just keep to yourselves and wallow in your self-declared superiority complex, then honestly nobody would care enough to call you out.
There is no twist and turn. Few of them got waivers. I am more concerned about scholarships. What is the process?
A 23-word comment posted 4 months ago was not published.
A 2-word comment posted 4 months ago was not published.