Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
I’m an incoming associate at a T1 firm and I’m asking as A0, A1 - SA/PA etc. how many foreign vacations are you taking each year or planning to take in the upcoming year? And also shed some light on foreign travels for work purpose. How many foreign visits a year for work.
I take at least 2 vacations abroad every year. A long one in Europe and then a shorter one in SEA. Some weekends in Goa through the year.

The only way to make the work stress worth it imo.
Wow - what a question to ask before starting work :)

However, no judgment here! It's a good question and if that motivates you then go for it.

First year is generally a wash since you will be new to money and unless you are very good with it, you will lose a significant chunk buying up all the things that you wish you could buy by yourself (this doesn't apply if you already come from a fairly well off family in which you wouldn't be asking this question). With that said, you could probably do a decent Thailand type trip on a cost effective budget if you wanted to.

The other problem with first / second year is that you will drowning with work most of the time, won't have visibility on when you will get time off and unless you are very very good to begin with, you won't have the ability to string that much time together off (since you will not have built credibility yet).

For what its worth, I got to on a BD trip right in the beginning of my second year - but that was largely as a reward for doing something spectacular on a deal. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it, but truth be told, I would have appreciated getting compensated in cash instead.

I ended up doing a bunch of trips in/around India, Nepal etc. in the first three years. In my fourth year, I did a Europe trip - that was a decent and long. That was great!

After that, I have done on average in a year - one big vacation abroad and 1-2 smaller vacations in India. The real joy starts after you make PA, because then you can (if you have saved right) travel in comfort (once you go business, you never go back), stay in good places (nice hotels / airbnbs) and generally travel when you plan for it (as opposed to when you suddenly find youself free).

Now a days, I plan for the two big vacations in a year and work takes me whenever it does (but that is rarely a perk now).

Feel free to ask follow up questions.
It seems you are at a senior position in the law firm. So, does foreign vacations become a norm at firms at senior positions to take a break from the stressful financial years? How many countries have visited until now?
I’m a PA at KCO Bangalore. For work purposes, I usually visit London, Singapore and New York at least 5-6 times a year. For personal vacations, I award myself with 2 foreign vacations a year to lay off some stress from work. I think vacations are a must for every T1 lawyer, starting from A0s to Partners. You need to reward yourselves for the work you do and since you are getting compensated well, why not enjoy the money and spend on yourselves.
What rubbish! No PA is going to NU, London. May be Singapore but even that’s rare. Only partners go.
Please be mindful of posting information that will allow you to be identified.
What is your practice area? Are there practice areas that give more opportunities like these to go abroad?
Please be mindful of posting information that will allow you to be identified.