Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
I'm a final year law student from a fairly reputed private law school with an interest in direct and international tax. I've done a few boutique and litigation internships as well, and I did not despise it like many of the other law students and considering how few students chose this field, I would like to pursue a career in it.

Due to certain family issues, I do not want to burden my parents by making them support me for another few years while pursuing litigation. I want to become financially independent as soon as possible.

The firm's I interned at unfortunately don't hire freshers. I've applied to a few places in Delhi for internships, and am awaiting responses.

However, I would much prefer working in Chennai/Banglore. From my preliminary research, tax teams for law firms tend to be centred around Bombay and Delhi. Delhi is still somewhat possible, but Bombay will be unaffordable for me.

Are there any good tax firms down south which pay a decent salary? If not, I would be grateful for some leads in direct/international tax in Delhi as well. Have less than 6 months before I graduate. I know it's very late, but I intend to make the best of the time I have left.

Hello: I was until recently a partner at a tier 1 and am now actively looking to hire for international tax in Bangalore. Drop me a note on LinkedIn.
https://in.linkedin.com/in/shreya-rao-36695830
exactly, direct tax work is nearly CA only, so far as IDT is concerned lawyers still have some breathing room
Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan has decent presence in Chennai. You can consider that for tax. Other than that, it is largely individual practitioners. You can try your luck with some good junior counsels as well. One person that comes to mind is Rahul Unnikrishnan (Arvind Datar's junior). Don't know what the pay is, but worth a shot. If not for a job, at least for some guidance.
MV Swarup. Sandeep Bagmar. Rahul Unnikrishnan.

Basically, any of APDs juniors.