Read 3 comments as:
Filter By
We have Periyar student societies in JNU and some NLUs. The Indian left reveres him and he trends a lot on social media. But here's something you may not know. In a letter to K Kamaraj Nehru had said:

"My Dear Kamaraj,

I am much distressed by the anti-Brahmin campaign continuously carried on by E.V. Ramaswami Naicker. ... I find that Ramaswami Naicker is going on saying the same thing again and calling upon people at the right time to start stabbing and killing. What he says can only be said by a criminal or a lunatic....I suggest, therefore, to you that there should be no delay in dealing with this matter. Let him be put in a lunatic asylum and his perverted mind treated there. I do not understand anyone telling me that the law does not allow us to take action unless actual killing takes place. The law is often very foolish but it is not quite so foolish as to permit a campaign of incitement to murder."

See link below at page 387:.

https://ia800408.us.archive.org/3/items/HindSwaraj-Nehru-SW2-40/nehru.sw2.vol.s40_text.pdf
It's called freedom of expression. You would notice that Nehru didn't actually do it. Unlike today when trumped up charges under UAPA would be brought and people kept imprisoned for years without trial.