Read 39 comments as:
Filter By
Hi everyone, I was a student of NUJS online courses, and has been waiting for certificate as I have finished my course. one and half years back Division Bench of Calcutta HC ordered that we must be given certificates and our course will be deemed to be UGC recognised. Since then NUJS took out notice saying they will implement the court order and asked us to submit details to the University which I did.

After this there was a challenge in Supreme Court (filed very late by UGC - 9 months after the divison bench order) and NUJS said it will wait for SC order before giving certificates.

Now SC has dismissed the SLP by UGC, and upheld HC order.

Why is NUJS still not issuing a certificate to me? I wrote mails to the VC and the registrar, there was no response.

I have filed a contempt petition before Calcutta HC, but the hearing did not happen since 5 months as the bench has been separated and one of the judges is now posted in Andaman & Nicobar Islands.

Do I have to wait till the judge returns to Kolkata for contempt petition to be heard before I can get my certificate?

or can I file a fresh writ before HC?

Why is NUJS doing this travesty of justice. There are clear court orders, why can't a premier law university follow the law? Why do we have to fight to get our rights in courts @ every step?

Have we not suffered enough?
What I gather from this whole fiasco is that โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ (they were literally misleading students by marketing their courses as "UGC Recognised"). NUJS shut them down. The students who fell victim to this should not have to face the brunt. So the court said NUJS must at least give certificates to the students.

In none of the court orders is there any line about the legitimacy of the courses themselves. But iPleaders is portraying it as some sort of their own victory. When in reality it is just a relief awarded to the students โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ.

NUJS should respect this and give the students the certificates at least or issue refund.
There is no scam by iPleaders. If there was, by now it would have been established in the court. Rather, iPleaders won every case in court, assisted students by fielding top lawyers and methodically winning every case against NUJS for the students.

NUJS has admitted its fault, signed a settlement agreement in December 2022, paid 80 lakhs approx to iPleaders. iPleaders delivered services a 2nd time to learners, without charging anything extra. Many students cleared exams. This data was given to NUJS.

NUJS issued certificates to a few people. And then stopped, and breached the agreement, refused to pay further dues to iPleaders and refused to give more certificates to rest of the learners with the justification that UGC has filed SLP in SC although SC refused to give stay on HC order when UGC asked for it.

UGC kept taking dates in court for many months. NUJS used it as excuse to not implement HC order (although its no valid justification where there is no stay)

NUJS has acted illegally throughout

iPleaders never marketed any course as UGC recognised, rather they made everyone sign a waiver that they know course is not UGC recognised, this is part of court filings and court observed that students were aware of no UGC recognition

In any case, these were courses run by NUJS, students paid to NUJS, iPleaders was only a vendor to NUJS, any non compliance is solely responsibility of NUJS

and this is why, nobody dared to file a single case against iPleaders, while iPleaders has been taking NUJS to cleaners over unpaid dues and winning arbitration

You allegation of scma against iPleaders is entirely defamatory
Ipleaders needs to finish the course first and confirm that you're eligible for the certificate. They have taken lakhs of money from the university way back in the beginning of this year after the university asked them to help implement the order. Yet to do anything despite getting all the money. They are now hankering after costs and interest.
hahaha

Go sue ipleaders then

It is your duty to give certificates do your job instead of lying
Indeed we have sued NUJS and won

We will sue it again until it complies, canโ€™t wait for the VC and registrar to be summoned before judges to explain why it has not implemented HC order in last 16 months :)
Very easily. Because those same judges in the EC have not allowed that to happen. Moreover, NUJS has paid the money. iPleaders need to conduct the exams and submit the results.
Ya sure. EC judges playin

They first said course is illegal shut it down

Then on HC bench they revived it

And now back in EC they are saying donโ€™t implement it

You are such a genius I can understand who you are even though you are anonymous ๐Ÿคซ
iPleaders has conducted exams and submitted results already, where possible. Where NUJS has been asked for question papers to conduct exam and it has not given how can iPleaders conduct exams ๐Ÿ˜‚
This is the reason no university should jointly offer courses with unknown private players. It is not good for the long-term interest of the students.
This is why no reputed edtech company should work with government universities, they will always screw up something good, even in their own interest, to satisfy small ego and petty politics

LawSikho was started by iPleaders founders post this fall out which is now many times bigger in terms of revenue compared to NUJS
why didnโ€™t NUJS make those allegations in arbitration with ipleaders then? Or are you saying arbitrator decided against NUJS and ordered NUJS to pay compensation even though iPleaders did not do its job? ๐Ÿ™„
The arbitration was not about doing or not doing the course at all. If you knew about it in reality, then you would not have mentioned it. Moreover iPleaders signed a settlement agreement and took money after that.
Clearly someone from iPleaders, probably the OP himself has been going around marking everything that reports ipleaders having taken money this year from NUJS as contested. Lol! It is still the truth.
NUJS owes money to ipleaders so paid it

NUJS owes us a certificate so better pay it instead of sending representatives on LI threads ๐Ÿซฃ
How can iPleaders be entitled to money without under arbitration without performing its duties under contract? Did you fall on your head as a kid or something?
What was the arbitration about- since you know so well please enlighten us ๐Ÿฅฑ
iPleaders has completed courses and submitted results to NUJS

NUJS did not issue certificates to NUJS

All of these are on record before courts

Your fictitious story would not help - you have tried this before and failed.
I confirm - I have completed my course - only issuance of certificate left to be done. I have written many mails, registrar replied saying they are waiting for SC order

Now I wrote more emails after SC order, no response now
I fully stand with you. You should do the following:

1. Write a letter to the Chancellor, CJI Chandrachud. Then share your letter plus the petition with Bar & Bench. Once B&B publishes it, his office may take notice.

2. Circulate the above to the media as well. Target online news sites like the Wire, Newsclick, and Swarajya. The first 2 are pro-CPIM and the other is pro-BJP, both parties being opposed to the Mamata government.

3. Share your grievance with Left MP and Senior Advocate Bikash Bhattacharya, who is single-handedly fighting in the Cal HC against corruption by the TMC govt. Also share your grievances with BJP MPs from Bengal, who can raiseit on social media.

4. File a contempt petition in the SC instead of the Cal HC. The Cal HC is the most craven court in the country, with the exception of just a few brave judges (such as Justice Abhijit Gangopadhyay, Justice Amrita Sinha and Justice Rajshekhar Mantha --- I guess your matter is not being heard by them).

The judges and retired judges together with the law minister are the ones who decide policy in the EC now. No court is going to question their decision, sadly.
Not the SC one. It was against the UGC. NUJS never contested the HC order.
So why the hell did nujs not implement the HC order despite SC refusing a stay? What was it waiting for :)
It did implement. It paid iPleaders 32 lakhs and entered into a settlement agreement back in Jan. The courses were under iPleader's control including the platform and exams. They are the ones who did nothing in this year.
Correction, NUJS paid iPleaders 80 lakhs under settlement agreement

iPleaders got 20 lakhs more awarded in arbitration post settlement agreement, which was breached by NUJS after paying a part of the 1.3 cr dues under the settlement agreement

This is also recorded in arbitration award

But thats not HC order, HC never asked to pay anything to iPleaders

HC order is to finish courses and give certificates. When is NUJS doing that? And if its case is that because of iPleaders it is unable to give certificates where is that case being made?
Dear Op,

This advice is not in good faith. Contrary to perception on LI TMC government hardly cares about NUJS(Many don't even know it exists). Approaching politicians/lawyers with political connections will unnecessarily add political dimensions where none exist and complicate the matter. Just approach a decent counsel in Calcutta HC who isn't overtly political and well versed with the court craft/dynamics (there are many) and fight the university in court.
NUJS admin for a change wants the courses to finish and certificates given without further litigation. The state stooges in the EC want to keep dragging this on forever and ensure that their pet lawyers milk more fees out of student money.