Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
As someone who has been a student of this college, the sheer political domination TMC has over this college and the Calcutta University in general is revolting and sickening.
Education does not exist in Kolkata anymore. It's just politics. Leaving the state for my graduation was the best decision of my life. I love the city, and I miss home but the sad reality is that the current govt has destroyed education.
It is true that government school education has been dealt a huge blow by the TMC government especially. Gujarat and some of the other states are also suffering. Delhi and Kerala are some of the best places for schools now.
Ably assisted by those who instead of giving back to their home state and trying to improve things, run away at the first opportunity.
Yes, they run away because they know that they are helpless. The current govt wins and will continue to win with the help of Muslims, women, and the votes of lazy uneducated folks who are happy with the subsidies and other alms that the Govt provides. Why will we stay when every single University in the state is politically driven, there are scams in every sector, Govt job exams do not take place and whenever they do, there are massive scams that come up. There are no jobs in the private sector. industries or companies don't come to the state because of corruption and the need to bribe massive amounts to the TMC leaders.

Those who want to help will only be able to help if the people elect the right set of people which seems a distant dream now. The only alternative to the present govt seems to be the BJP who is equally bad. The present govt provides alms to the poor, the BJP govt will try to radicalize the youth and ask for votes on religious grounds.

Just to clarify, I am in no way supporting the Congress or the Left, all I am saying is that there is no end in sight to the miseries of the state and I guess it will continue to derail. I love my city but honestly, it has been captured by stupid and selfish folks who just care about votes and nothing else.
So in other words, you will only come back to your state when the going is good, but won't stay back to fight in your own way to help improve things or inspire others to do so. Got it.
I got two words for you: Saurav Bhattacharya. Hands down the best prof at NUJS. Spent so many years teaching there without a promotion, because of his passion and for wanting to contribute to the state. Ultimately he just couldn't take the politics and left for NLSIU, where he is being treated much better.

So stop your lectures and stop regurgitating TMC IT Cell points. Shame on Mamata, her nephew and the TMC for their countless scams + acts of violence and murder.
Saurabh didn't get a promotion because he didn't fulfill the UGC Regulations requirement. Everyone around him did including people junior to him. I don't doubt his commitment to the place, but if that makes you neglect your own compliance then you can't expect the same results. His only chance was to apply for an open Associate Professor position. He did that as soon as he got his PhD in 2020. NUJS didn't have an open position back then, NLSIU did. Even there he hasn't been made permanent yet even after almost 3 years now. So him leaving the place had nothing to do with TMC politics. NLSIU has got its own set of politics pre and during Sudhir. All places do.
JFYI.....congress government in Karnataka (where NLSIU is located) also won the polls based on promises of free things. Now the state government says it does not have the funds to fulfill those promises. The point is, the people of Karnataka are no smarter (if that was your point).
Looks like you don't have the intellect to understand what I was saying. My point was that there is no point in fighting. Bengal has gone into the hands of a dictator who will continue to be elected for the reasons that I have specified in my previous comment. ap fight kar lo Mamata Didi ko vote deke.
BJP also gives plenty of alms to the poor when it comes to winning votes, by the way. The central government likes to pretend that it is against such subsidies or handouts, but in all the BJP run states, the same thing is happening. In fact, BJP came back to power in MP based on the success of such a scheme.
True and I am against such schemes irrespective of which party does it. Yes, subsidies and welfare schemes are necessary to some extent but not at the cost of the economy of the state. WB is the state with one of the highest debts in the state. The present govt during the first 10 years had doubled the debt accumulated by the left and congress govts since independence and it's rising every year. The govt has failed miserably to bring investment to the state and why will private players come after what had happened to Tata in Singur?
The people of Bengal were in favour of Mamata with respect to Singur. So your issue seems to be with the people of Bengal rather than the present government.
Partly yes, in that, people get misled too quickly and has a tendency of sticking to the current govt no matter what happens. CPM ruled for 34years, TMC is probably gonna stay here for at least 30years.
Not really. The people are mostly sheep, be it the Modi supporters or Mamata supporters. Both of them are canny enough politicians to come up with false mountain of narratives out of true molehill of incidents.