Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
I have been running my own litigation practice for 2 years now in a metro. I am 7 years into practice. Initially, I ran the show. But, with increasing workload, i have hired people only for them to leave in 4-6 months.

I work harder than them, treat them well and encourage them to conduct good matters

I pay them decent around 20k-30k based on their experience. Give them freedom to take up and run their cases from my office. I
tbh people will always move to greener pastures. And the amount which u r giving in a metro city is not good. I would suggest try to look at their perspective and give them more incentives to work for a long term like contract or good pay etc.
I'm a litigator but not independent yet. However, i wish that chamber senior should provide monetary incentive per filing, provide time to prepare personal matters (raat ko 11 baje ghar jaakar independent kaam karna isn't freedom).
Pay is one aspect like everyone pointed out, yes. But that's not the only thing. Plus, I feel you can retain talent with even 20-30k, provided other aspects of your office are good.

Provide them opportunities to grow. If you run the show, as you say, there isn't much for the juniors to do - other than perhaps prepare some briefs for you, find some judgments, make some drafts. Give them some more hands-on experience. Let them argue. Let them deal with the clients. With oversight, of course. Also let them use your resources whenever possible. Good seniors help their experiences juniors get on panels, get independent work, etc.

Which is the next important thing. Let them take up independent work. They are in this profession not to be your juniors forever. Their goal, naturally, is to move on and build their own practice. Be their mentor for that. Help them.

Once you're actually mentoring people, and your office culture is not toxic, people will stay. In fact, don't ask us. Ask them, maybe using anonymous forms if you have multiple juniors, to give you feedback and let you know what they really want - what they expect out of this office and you.
Came back to add one more thing: make sure your juniors feel safe. As they do work, they will also screw up. They will make mistakes. Make sure they are not afraid of making mistakes - because that means they'd be afraid of taking any initiative also. That would make them want to leave.

My senior had basically told me "there's nothing you can do to a case that I won't be able to rescue it, so it's fine". It helped build the courage needed.

Build that kind of a safe workplace that encourages your juniors to learn & grow. They'll stay.
HI , I am someone who graduated in 2014 and this is the exact reason I have stopped litigating , did an MBA in HR and now working in a conglomerate.

See, you have to understand things in correct perspective:-
1) Litigation / pvt practise is VERY costly (rent or supposed rent of office, maintenance , payment to juniors

2) as your matter increases you will have to keep Juniors and pay them well . Those who have talent wont stick and those who dont will be a burden on you and your office space
3) Best well read juniors either go into corporate and only graduates from local colleges will be available for your office. You cant have 'A' level game, with 'D' level players

4) Inflation is making it tougher for everyone and anyone to join and continue litigation for several years. So, it we are seeing a end of an era.
5) Nobody wants to ruin mental health by working in bad infra , abusive local bar associations (think MP HC Bar - they burned the building last year , Think Delhi HC Bar the recent abuse in canteen for life. Why should someone ? People would very well teach kids , do some course , do coding and exit from that toxic place.
6) Litigation is also for those who know how to 'Chuna Lagao' Client / Milking the Client
7) Back in the days , life was simple today you have 10 things to do and maintain and you had help from your spouse as there was only one working partner. Nowadays , both partners are working and you have to take care of things outside work. That's the reason people are leaving litigation and law firms (except that law firms pay good)
if you have a budget of 30k only, which is very less for a metro, consider hiring remotely from small towns

You can have people remotely do your drafting, research, customer support (calls) and massively reduce your work load and someone from a small town would stay in that budget long term if you give 10-20% hike per year