Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
What should the ranking be in 2024? The major changes that have taken place in the past year are:

- NLSIU: Expanding a lot. Brand name remains strong and Sudhir hiring good alumni faculty, but star placements for all may not be possible now. Also missed out on Rhodes again. But getting good government support and Chandrachud's strong backing.

- NALSAR: Gets a boost with Congress winning Telangana. No longer to be run by a narrow-minded regional party. Hopeful of government support and more funding.

- GNLU: Rocking Rhodes. Modi in pole position to win 2024, more central funds likely. Further boost for Gujarat likely with 2036 Olympics bid.

- NLUD: Also rocking Rhodes. Doing well in UPSC. Stable in placements. AAP government has not been too supportive, but locational advantage is massive.

- NUJS: Meaningless expansion with rubbish criminal law course, even as faculty and infra are declining. Duck in Aditya Birla this year. New AG of Bengal could be old one who previously harmed NUJS. Mamata remaining in power till at least 2026 and likely beyond.

- NLUJ: Back to being run the the BJP. Possibly a new CM. Hopeful of more support compared with Gehlot.

- NLIU: MP could get a new CM. Jyotiraditya Scindia has a modern outlook and should be supportive. But overall has been declining year after year.

- JGLS: The college has announced it is expanding to 200 acres in the next 2-3 years. More funding from Jindal family. Placements also improving.

Thus, could the Top 10 ranking be:

1: NLSIU

Joint 2nd: NALSAR, NLUD

4: GNLU

Joint 5th: NUJS/NLUJ/JGLS

8: NLIU

Joint 9th: RGNUL, RMLNLU

As you can see, I'm putting HNLU, NLUO and MNLU-M outside the top 10 and including JGLS as joint 5th. These are the two bold calls I am making.
If you are talking about NIRF ranking it has received zero validation from law school communities and legal fraternity. Every year it has had so many outliers and misplaced rankings that it has become a lie in itself, a joke.
As we can see, you have come up with a meaningless exercise that is also politically coloured and certainly beyond your competence. This is just one of those old excuses for trolling that is vintage LI.
Are you so out of work that you have legit prepared a whole rank sheet of law colleges in India after conducting analysis of the political situation of their respective states? And who cares what you think of the law school rankings currently? Nobody gives a damn about your bold calls. Get a life
RGNUL and RML are the worst, there's no placements at all. RML placed like three people in tier 1 law firms, while RGNUL placed 6

HNLU/NLUO placed 30+ in tier 1 law firms. Clearly shows you have no idea what you are talking about
Just another RW troll who has got no idea about what benefits legal education, but thinks that hosting the Olympics in the same state means that the NLU there is going to do well. Loopholes in statements made:

1. No actual infra or land expansion has happened at NLSIU yet, just increase in student numbers. The 3-Year LLb programme has not really taken off. Chandrachud has not really done anything for the place yet other than appointing a review commission full of people with little idea about Indian legal education.

2. NALSAR has flourished for the last decade under a different government, which was a regional one and did a lot of good things for the state. Congress has not really done anything for the NLUs of any state where it is currently in power, with the exception of NLUD. Last year has seen many good young faculty leave NALSAR for NLS, who have not been replaced. Dhanda's departure as the decision-maker has been a big blow in the academic reputation and standards of the place. SKDR is at best a status quo fellow and nowhere as dynamic as Sudhir or even Faizan.

3. GNLU: Rocking Rhodes? Really? Because they won in this year? Central funds would go to places like NFSU Gujarat that the government is actually propping up in direct competition with state NLUs. GNLU has been getting considerable funds ever since it started. What has it done in research, publications, hiring good faculty in all these years? What's the output? Also, Olympics? How will that help GNLU, will the grads be recruited to vet the sports and construction contracts straight out of the university, or will Justice League winners get an Olympics Medal? They started this new campus far away from the old one and so far it has been a drain on university resources from insider accounts.

4. NLUD: Once again, rocking Rhodes? UPSC is also a non-metric for gauging the quality of a law school, and even there, DU and other local colleges are way ahead on ROI. Placements may be stable, but have not been improving as it should have with alumni getting to be partners. As of now, placement is NLUD's weakest point. It lost many good faculty lately to NLS and one of the main faculty who used to teach Corp and get projects has now gone to NLUJ. Yet, the place has been doing well overall. AAP has not been supporting, but not interfering either. I would have certainly kept it as my number 2 choice along with NALSAR maybe. Perhaps even ahead of NLS because of the location and smaller batch size.

5. NUJS' infra has been declining, TMC interference part is also true. However, courses on criminology and forensic science are hardly rubbish merely because you say so. If anything, the central government too has been focusing on such courses, via the NFSU. NUJS placement is still the best of all NLUs. Faculty are comparable to NALSAR and NLUD (at present after the exodus) and better than NLUJ or GNLU. The place has been getting several research projects lately and based on NIRF and academic data, publishing more than it had been doing before the pandemic. Some faculty are also doing STEM-related collaborative research lately from what I saw, which is a good sign. Infra expansion is also taking place. The biggest weakness here is weak admin and state interference. Student participation which was its biggest strength has now backfired into lowering of academic standards. Still, it remains a firm number 4 behind NALSAR and NLUD, maybe ahead if placements are the only thing that you focus on. Can get worse or better depending on the next VC.

6. NLUJ, nothing much changed other than the new VC, who is competent from all accounts. They desperately need to get good quality permanent faculty, especially after the dressing down from the court. The students there have got good alumni base, decent placements, but just need that extra admin and academic push to go to the next level. Government change is unlikely to cause anything new.

7. NLIU needs a new VC to recover, someone who will be futuristic, progressive and help the place shake out of its traditional sarkari inertia. Change in government does not really matter. Difficult to get rid of old permanent faculty, who can do nothing more for the place. With a new NLU in the same state, it is unlikely to get the same attention. The MP domicile quota has not helped it, unlike NLS, NUJS etc. because there Bangalore and Kolkata students avail of that quota and are better qualitatively.

8. Jindal is in decline now that the sheen has worn off and people are finding the model unsustainable for quality. Their placement is hardly improving and is miles behind the top 8-9 NLUs. They have too many of everything to be managed properly, students and faculty. Admin is only busy with hacking rankings and neglecting student interest and welfare in the process. They have got some very good names and still do excellent PR, but unless they get streamlined and ensure quality during entry (both students and faculty), they will never be taken seriously. ROI is so bad that you are better off putting the money in FD and going for litigation with the interest to sustain yourself until you rustle up a decent practice.
NFSU troll Khyber trolling anonymously. The moment you mentioned NFSU Gujarat your identity was revealed kid.

NLUs>>>>>> NFSUs
I never said NFSUs are better than NLUs. Just that the government has been funding those, which is a fact. If you are devoid of logic, then I can't help it. I don't even think that NFSUs are good, but the government priority makes them important in the context of the discussion.
You seem to be an NUJS student/alum with a chip on your shoulder. Also unnecessarily attacking NLUD and Jindal, as you guys have become habituated to doing. And the plug for NFSU is hilarious!
Get your mind straight first. If he's from NUJS, why would he plug NFSU of all places? If he's from NFSU, then he's got nothing to do with NUJS. This is what trolls do, they just opine devoid of logic.
You cannot read and that's my fault how exactly? I have got nothing to do with NUJS. I even said NLUD would be my second choice at present. I said what everyone in legal academia and industry think of JGLS. I don't really care where you think my loyalties lie. Dispute any fact that I have mentioned.
Tell that to Modiji. He's the one funding those places instead of nationalising the NLUs like he was supposed to.
Here comes another "my-school-is-better-than-your-school" juvenile discussion.
NALSAR got the highest NAAC accreditation ahead of NLS and NLUD, so that might boost some rankings.
NLUO is in top 10 buddy. Both by CLAT preference and NIRF. Placement wise it has been doing better than RG and RML.
Trust me library of NLUO is 10x bigger than your home. ;) Go and check website once.
Someone is spreading fake news about HNLU. The placements are much better than what you are projecting. Please also look beyond law firms. HNLU alumni are today very well placed in many different types of streams.

I accept that the college suffered because of the previous vice chancellor, who was involved in various scams and was removed after students protested. But that should not reflect on the quality of students or alumni. By the same yardstick, Professor Veer Singh was removed because the students protested at NALSAR and ditto for Ishwar Bhat at NUJS. They too were involved in various scams. That doesn’t mean the students are bad.
tbh, gnlu has a great advantage with GIFT city and further, Knowledge Corridor where some Australian Universities have started their India-campus. Guj govt going full in to make Gujarat an Educational hub. Political oversight looks promising, but you never know when things could go south.

Nevertheless, they have promising prospects.
NLUD is the odd one out here lol. Even RML and other supposed tier 2 & 3’s has done very decently in UPSC.
Law school ranking 2024 should keep 2029 in mind when students will pass out.

Top two institutes expected to be market leaders in 2029/2030 are NLS Bangalore and Jindal Global Law School which might break into top 50 in the world and have strong alumni presence internationally.

NALSAR, NLU Delhi, GNLU, NUJS will be the next.

Delhi University, GLC Mumbai and Symbiosis Pune alongwith NLU Jodhpur, NLIU Bhopal should be next.

IIULER Goa & BITS Law School Mumbai expected to find some ground by 2030.

Mediocre NLUs and sub standard private law colleges may not get enough students and many law colleges will face closure in same way BTech colleges
See, the only good thing jindal does is....they know how to game the QS criteria to break into the rankings. Besides that it's quality is substandard
Jindal has actually been dipping in QS and will fall further, because on unmanaged expansion. NLSIU may rise in QS to take a top 100 spot, which will be richly deserved.
A 10-word comment posted 4 months ago was not published.