Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
I like the academic side of the legal profession and am thinking of completing post-graduation to try my hand in academia. However, I am stuck with the fact that whether this career space is really worth it, considering the vast difference between the legal industry operations and what the teaching in law school entails. The significance of all degrees (including LLB) seems to be shrinking in the face that market is increasingly being corporatized & automatised and who now cares for legal principles taught in law school.

This is more a zamaana of contract drafting, M&A, antitrust and securities than things like constitutional pillars, administrative playfullness or torts' volenti non fit injuria, etc. And with AI and technology adaptation, the relevance of teaching as a whole is predicted to be decimated.

Any thoughts?
No. This is not worth it for a talented and hard working youngster. If you want to just coast in an average lifestyle with a 1lkh-2lkh salary. Sure go ahead. You won't get more than this. Plus the mediocrity surrounding you in class & in staff would definitely make it irritating. Therefore if you're one of those that isn't very ambitious, then definitely go for it. If you are ambitious and only want to pursue academia, then try abroad. As someone had said in a previous thread, it's passion over paisa in this field.
If you're a tenure track asst prof at NLS (or equivalent), then you will find a challenging classroom experience for sure. Can't say the same for lower tier NLUs/TLCs.
Have read Kian's interview with CLATGyan almost 11 years back, where he mentioned that law education as vocation needs to be encouraged.

@LegallyIndia would want to hear his advice again, especially in light of technological progression as mentioned in this thread and the withering of rule of law across the world, considering how academia has stood up for all of this.

Please throw some light on this. Genuinely interested.