Read 34 comments as:
Filter By
The knowledge that you need to gain to understand those articles is one of the reasons why you should read newspapers. A good lawyer is supposed to have basic knowledge of developments around them.
My AIR was 3XX and i completely avoided GK prep (only answered like 5 questions) and if I had done any math prep at all I would've been in the single digits.

Suffice to say you can mostly skip GK and still get in NLSIU.
I believe the skill you're referring to is 'reading'. Reading is vital, of course. Reading GK in particular, on the other hand...
Not exactly AIR 250 but one among the top 250 ranks

I mugged up all those IAS GK pds, around 30 of those. Most tedious task ever
Calculus and trigonometry got nothing to do with law. Also, top IITs aren't hotspots for Bhakts lmao.
Excellent GK is essential to excel in litigatation but not in law firms. NLU students aren't inclined towards litigating.
Yes, word meanings should be removed as well. I memorized like 1000s of new word meanings during my CLAT prep. In analytical reasoning, u need to memorize certain formulae that should be avoided as well.
I got a rank of under 200 in CLAT, and GK used to be my favourite section.
Reading the newspaper or really any material everyday and synthesising information , learning to spot salient information from unimportant information is a skill.
I am in favour of strengthening the maths section. Even including calculus and trigonometry. It will bring in more science students and rectify the current ideological skew.
Yes. GK and anything based on rote learning must be avoided. Legal Terms, maxims, are all not worthy of CLAT.

A good CLAT paper should include:

Logical & Analytical Reasoning

Legal Reasoning

English Grammar & Reading Comprehension
GK is not a 'skill.' Language skills, reasoning skills (logic and legal), and even math are skills. GK, on the other hand, is not a 'skill'
NLUs should use LSAT scores instead and save students from countless errors and studying law before stepping into law school.
True.I've met many grads, post grads, PhDs and even young assistant professors who did not know the Israel-Palestine issue.lol ! That's why I loved HR classes, you could see the dumb awkward faces across the board on such issues.
GK can't be measured by the questions asked but a sincere student has to go through min 2000 or mora pages of general awareness around the world.
Honestly, GK is important! You can't just get in without knowing what's happening in Myanmar or Israel-Palestine. The profs regularly use examples from what's happening around the world and you need to have a basic idea to understand those examples!
Why not remove the whole paper and draw lots. Lottery should determine ranks. We need lucky candidates not skilled ones. Skills toh law school bhi dedegi. Rascal !
haha what a sad brag to claim you got 250th rank. already students are coming to us not knowing the difference between mythology and history. Removing GK entirely would be a full disaster.