Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
Hi I'm an A0 in a Mumbai firm and am looking to shift back to my hometown in Kolkata for personal reasons.

So, how would people in the knowhow rate Fox and Mandal's Kolkata office?(not Fox Mandal, although if you have any insight for them too please share)

What's the work quality and pay like compared to other firms in Kolkata.

Also, as a sidenote what would an objective ranking of Kolkata firms look like.
Bump. Another A0 from Kolkata in a different city looking for greener pastures back at home.
Well friend, it seems that these pastures don't exist, or nobody wants to talk about it.
KCo and F&M are probably the leading firms in Kolkata right now. I have (reliably) heard from A0s/A1s who joined F&M recently that their pay matches (and in some cases exceeds) KCo. In terms of work quality, I think their top practices are litigation, projects, and real estate, but looking to aggressively grow their corporate practice.

If I were you, I would probably look to set up an informal conversation with someone working there to get a more realistic sense of pay, vacancies etc.
There are no greener pastures in Kolkata my friend. I am sorry to disappoint you. Most of the work in the Kolkata office of SAM and KCO are sourced from the Delhi Office or the Mumbai office depending on the work load.

Regarding F&M, they are willing to match up with KCO bands to attract talent. While most of the work around these places are in the banking and finance space, and litigation heavy, F&M seems to be eyeing to become a force in the corporate space and have since merged with another law firm to have their expertise in board. However, to my understanding, the corporate team is more focused out of Delhi than Kolkata. Aquilaw is another firm that is gunning to get a bigger share of clients within the city as well.

An objective ranking of Kolkata law firms would be:

1. SAM (the Kolkata office has really good pay when you look at it from Kolkata's POV and add really good work life balance to it. Please do consider that the SAM brand is however, not as significant here because its a small satellite team.

2. KCO. Pays well. Some toxic teams, but some great teams as well, leaning heavier on the latter side. Work is Gen Corp and Banking and Finance, coupled with some serious disputes.

3. Argus. Really good corporate practice. Is heavily overworked because the team us scanty but they do some really good work.

4. F&M. Biased here. One of the more heritage firms of Kolkata. But they do have pay disparity based on your college/last salary drawn so please be mindful of that.

5. Aquilaw. Pays north of 8L after they revamped their offices and tried focusing on their brand image in a more aggressive manner. Expect A LOT of real estate work.

6. Ashlar Law. Kolkata based firm that has somehow managed to gain some limelight owing to their aggressive foray into the M&A space. Pay is meagre 4 LPA at the fresher level and people generally use this firm as a stepping stone for greener pastures within the city, if such a pasture exists.

6. Citadel Law. Ex-founder of Argus, a favourite of tea estates. Small firm but a good mentor. Though I doubt that the package would be anything very lucrative.

Expect Fox Mandal to try matching salaries as well. Also I am not sure what your career goals are, but maybe also look into ITC and HUL. They have offices in Kolkata and hire. Also, do look into Rashmi Metalliks. They were looking to hire as well.

Best wishes whoever you are Sire/Ma'am/however you identify yourselves.
Thanks a lot. Answers a lot of queries. What of LKS Kolkata and HSA Kolkata?
The comment is very well explained, but find a few discrepancies, having been in 2 of the aforesaid firms-

i. All teams in KCO are not dependent to Delhi/Mumbai offices for work.

ii. F&M will only match in certain cases- trust me, not worth it.

Rest, mostly agree.
Hey!

I agree with both your points @Baba Yaga. KCO teams are not dependant on Mumbai or Delhi. They happen to work with them based on the needs of the project. Nothing I said is cardinal truth but just an overview.

I have issues with the entire pay structure and low ball negotiations that F&M engages in. Hence, I am biased in this regard and would never join that place.

LKS does LKS things. Pays well, decent mentors and how your worklife will be depends a lot on the team. HSA.....really? They only have one banking practice team that is somehow still surviving. They do not pay their associates and the entirety of LegallyIndia is rife with the abject abuse that the firm continues to mete out to its dear associates. That said, the partner is not a really decent mentor either and throws their weight around a lot.

I am an A3 at a T1 shop but was brought up in Kolkata. I wish I could come back home and stay here rather than hanker down on the work for another 1L salary. Word of advice: If you do not have loans to pay, and do not have a very specific ambition, don't join T1s or T2s just for the sake of the money. It takes a toll on you and you will lose more than just hairs. A lot of us think its fine that way and maybe it is to some. The crux is, whatever you do, choose wisely.

Also, please put back helpful posts on LegallyIndia. I know a lot of people could have made this objective list way better than the way I stitched it up. Stop fighting over your NLU ranks and make some proper suggestions for careers y'all. Helps us all man.
A 25-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.