Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
Are the forms still available? Should I fill it ? Is it worth it since the fees for filling the form is 3500 rupees. Is PhD from Nlu D worth it if I can't go abroad and just need a PhD for my teaching promotion.
Do you even get to select the guide ? Also how do I know who's a good guide when I've never been part of NLUD nor do I have any connections/sources there.
Depending on whichever area you wish to do your work in, you can identify from the website the teachers working in that area, and email them asking about their availability. Daniel, Yogesh are a couple of good people for guides.
There are three differences between good universities abroad and Indian universities

1. Brand name of the university

2. High cost which is not affordable for most Indians without a scholarship.

3.Anywhere it's the PhD students who should work hard . Guide's role is only in effective guiding by giving different perspectives etc. In foreign universities if the students don't work hard they are out of the program. In India registration to PhD program is almost equal to award of the same once the thesis is submitted
You have to work hard but in a good university, with a good supervisor, you will learn a lot. The main thing is that the right foreign universities have very competitive talent and resources, and a good, carefully created culture of learning and scholarship. But not everyone can afford it. If you are here, first decide if all you want is a rubber stamp PhD. If that is the case, find a 'known' university and just do it. Alternatively you can find a good and serious academic as your supervisor who will both teach you things and will make your degree more credible. The best option is to find a university with a good name and a serious PhD program where your supervisor, your fellow-students, other faculty and the institution itself will help you earn a real PhD not a rubber stamp. For all the Sudhir bashing here, NLSIU is probably your best option. But you can get a good supervisor or an indifferent one at NLU Delhi choosing option 2 or option 1. It will limit what you learn but if you don't care about that, it will do.
NLSIU is not also a good place for every candidate. It depends on the guide. Sudhir himself takes students for subjects that he has got no expertise in. This matter has been remarked upon when those candidates turn up for presentation before the PhD committee or external review board. If you get a good guide though, you will do well. Same disclaimer applies to NALSAR, NLUD, NUJS etc. In India, the guide is the most important factor, not the institution, when it comes to the quality of PhD.
It is just that there are more high quality faculty at world renowned institutions. My basic point is that anyone who thinks the PhD is just a time when you write more is doing it wrong. By the time you are finished, it should change how you think.
Why? Which university in India do you think is then worth it ? I can't go abroad and I need a PhD for promotion.
Better than every other law school’s PhD barring NLS (better faculty) and to a much lesser degree, NALSAR.
Does NALSAR really have better faculty? I doubt with the VC in place
I guess there’s a general understanding that between NLS, NLUD and NALSAR, there’s not much to choose between them and it depends on personal preference. But don’t make a fool of yourself by bringing NUJS and now JGLS into this debate. NLUD towers over both.
Once again, hollow claim. NLUD PhD isn't any better than NUJS or Jindal PhD. In fact, Jindal has got some amazing faculty under whom a PhD would be a much better experience.
Absolutely true. The only NLU worth doing a PhD from is NLS. I mean look at the difference in the entrance test. NLUD employing a objective MCQ paper, that may be cracked with luck. Whereas NLS has a lengthy, complex and subjective paper that can only be cracked if you know the length and breadth of law in detail.
Why should I know about all laws in details other than the domain where I'm actually planning to do my PhD in? Does Sudhir know anything about Corporate Law or Banking& Finance? This stupid culture of testing candidate's legal knowledge across all domains before admitting them for PhD only exists in India.
I would say NLS far supersedes over all. Followed by NLUD, NALSAR & NUJS. Haven't seen anyone get into Jindal unless they've got a foreign llm which doesn't mean much.
Chances of you exiting with a PhD in 5 years from NLSIU are minuscule these days.