Read 62 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, folx. I have decided to take the jump into the deep end of the watch collecting sea. I have a few years experience at corporate law (and the money that comes with it) now. I am considering springing for my first big watch this Diwali. I have been doing a bunch of window-shopping/youtube videos/fora etc. From all of this, I have narrowed by goal to the Omega Speedmaster. I have a budget of about 5-6L, can stretch a bit more (if absolutely necessary).

If anyone could guide me with the decision, the purchase journey, maintenance requirements (in Mumbai/India), and generally any other thoughts, it would be most welcome :)
Only land your purchase from Ethos - the discounts are crazy in this time of the year.
As a daughter and a second gen Solicitor, I find these conversations extremely amusing of how Associates dont think twice before splurging 5-6l on a watch.
Bro Speedmaster as an associate? That’s insane!

Still, if your budget permits, maybe a grand seiko? Or a Tag Heuer Carrera (always wanted one personally).

*Speedmaster will set you back 6.5L minimum so I’m assuming GS and TAG wouldn’t be a problem since they both cost lesser than an Omega.

**While you’re at it can you please update this thread if, whatever store you buy from, has a moonswatch in stock? Third party resellers often inflate the price by 30-40%
bhai, honestly bol raha hu, apne zone me reh khush rahega. 6 lakh ek salaried class ke liye bhot badi baat hai, mat kar
Dude, I don’t want to remain in the β€œsalaried class” mentality bracket forever. I didn’t go to a Tier 1 NLU, and get a day zero PPO at a Tier 1 law firm in order to stay middle class. My parents were middle class, I am unapologetic about my ambitions. That also means living the life you want to live, not scrimping and saving every rupee. I never compromise on my wardrobe, the neighbourhood/society I rent in, the places I dine out at, and the holidays I take. Even if it means I have lower savings, I live the life I want to manifest.

Now I’ve been saving up for a good watch for 15-18 months. If that means 6L for an Omega, it is what it is. In any case, these watches are also investments that appreciate in value. Plus the added bragging rights, and the respect it’ll attract from seniors and clients.
I read day zero PPO as day zero Pappu and thought yes makes sense 😭😭😭😭
Respect from seniors and clients. Lol. Your seniors will laught at you. Clients even more. Saala 1.5 lakh salary, spending 4x that on a watch. Utter foolishness. Partner ban. Or atleast cross the 50L threshold. Then buy whatever the fuck you want.
Yet another highly liked comment. Trollish it seems. Maybe jts the woke way to say majoritarian.
Bro people who are actually wealthy don't seek validation from others. "Bragging rights" is a middle class lingo. Also, people are busy with their own lives and problems, nobody would give a shit about your watch.
If you want to escape the "salaried class", increase your income, not expenses. You are trying to live a life beyond your means and thereby digging the middle class grave deeper.
So, you are saying that like the good life even if that means little savings? But you’ve saved up 6 lakhs as an A1? Could be that pocket money is as much if not more than what you get from your law firm?
From the way you sound… by few years, it can’t be more than 2. Your boss knows your salary and you will only be considered stupid to buy it.
even if you have a hard time understanding this, you are comparing the prestige and lifestlye of a partner to an A0. If you dont focus of savings at all; its going to come back to bite you in the ass. One day youll want to stop renting and buy your own house.
This is by far the most ridiculous reason ive ever read.

Firstly, you only have a JOB at a Tier-1, the Tier -1 is not owned managed and run by your family. Recession, Pandemic, market slowdown, one scuffle with your partner and youre out of a job.

Secodnly, Being unapologetic about your ambitions has got nothing to do with why you want to spend 6l on a watch.

Thidly, as you say, your parents were middle class, which means you barely have any back support (financially) in case things go south or yuo wanna leave or are made to live the Tier -1 for whatever reason,

Fourthly, Higly suggest you google and read up what being ambitious is.

Fifthly, You still live on rent, so calm down

Sixthly, the worst of all, You are comfortable with lower savings in life, completely contrary to saving and investing at this age and building a huge corpus to achieve financial freedom. The mentality that this is the age to splurge all the salary without giving a damn about savings goes to show how extremely poor your financial understanding and knowledge is.

Seventhly, If its taken you 15-18months to save 6l, you surely need to make more than you do now to be able to afford it.

Eighthly, NO CLIENT or PARTNER will look at your watch let alone respect your for it if your work is not uptp the mark, clients are impressed by work and people who help them make money not some Tier 1 associate who doesnt know how to manage his own financials
This is the GOAT comment. Your financials are fucked if it took you so long to save 6 lakhs. If you want to indulge yourself, sure, but you should have at least 4-5 times that amount in safe financial instruments first.
You are so misguided. Whether it's innocence or foolishness, I don't know. But I hope you will get maturity with time. Nothing wrong with aspirations and ambitions.
I am sorry for this but Omega won’t appreciate unless it is a limited edition. Rolex, Patek etc (watches which normally are difficult to get from retailers without any history) appreciate. So buy for your aspiration but not as an investment.
Friend, welcome to the club. It’s a journey and you’ll love it! One bit of advice, always preserve the box and papers.
Ignore all the saynayers man, Its your money and you have worked hard for it. Do whatever that makes you happy. Watches are not as good an investment as land but they wont depreciate if you take good care of it.

Do it and congratulations!
it might break with all those long hours of typing a list of documents for a DD report. Think again my friend.
That's the only exercise this person will do to keep the watch running.
Just keep one thing in mind - no one besides you will care about your watch and its value. It is unlikely that most people will pay attention. If that is OK with you, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I would also suggest purchasing a watch abroad to get some savings, and also considering purchasing a second hand one. A used Speedmaster Pro in Japan will not cost you more than 2-3l, depending on the quality.

If your biggest motivation is clout, would suggest you splurge it on a Rolex. That will get eyeballs. If you care about quality, would highly recommend a Grand Seiko in that budget.
Buddy. Don't blow all your money on a watch. I've been collecting for half a decade now and I'm still not sure if I'm okay with blowing 6L on a watch.

Why don't you buy a Tudor Royal or a Tag Aquaracer? If I see a T1 with an Omega or GS, I'd just think that their dad's bought it for them - decidedly anti-respect.
No offence, but you’ve been collecting for 5 years and you have no watches above 6L? That means you have not added any proper brands (Rolex, GS, Omega etc) to your collection.
No I've not added a GS, Rolex, or Omega to my collection. But that's a matter of preference. I prefer other brands :)

I do find the "proper brand" bit funny. Read about watches outside the bubble of r/watches/Nico/Teddy/Hodinkee. There's a lot of heritage that you should chase - which is the real joy of horology. Anyone can throw money at an AD and buy jewellery. If you really want that partner to look at you as more than a spoilt kid with bad planning, you should know the history of the watch you're wearing. Money doesn't buy the respect you're looking to get.

As a side note, brands like Nomos, CFB, Tudor, Longines, and Cartier - brands with rich history and deep catalogues - are well under 6. But hey, your money. Do what you want.
Just came back to add that Omega was technically the first watch on the moon. But it also broke on the mission. The commander of Apollo 15 chose to take a Bulova after his first moon walk because his Moonwatch popped.
I have been an associate and then a partner for many years now. I don’t look at, nor do I know any partner who looks at, the watches their associates wear. These conversational threads are surreal (this is directly mainly at the OP).
None of these brands are in the Tier 1 of watches. You're right when you say its okay to prefer other brands. But the same should apply for HMT, Titan etc. But when you move up your brand list, you can't be stuck at Tags and such. Tudor is more like a discount Rolex, what's the point of spending that much but not getting the value. Plus, brand recognition for Tudor is nothing compared to the others in that price bracket, let alone at the Rolex price bracket. Cartier is good for women, so not relevant for me.
Cartier is good for women..? I’m sorry, I think this conversation is as pointless as that statement you made. If you knew anything about anything you’d first see what a Cartier Santos is and how Cartier invented the men’s wristwatch.

Secondly, I can’t reason with clout chasers. omega btw is not Tier 1. AP, Patek, and Arnold and sons are real T1 watches. Get a grip friend.
Rolex is as anti-proper brand as one can get. Truly boring watches worn by people with no personality, begging for attention. I've been collecting watches for a decade and have a couple of watches from the "proper" brands you've mentioned. However, I cherish my Seikos and Casios beyond fathomable extents.

You're not a watch collector, you're a clout chaser.
As the saying goes, 'there's no point in buying a Rolex, if it tells you what time your lunch break ends;'
i have a uncle whose net worth is around 30 crores, with annual income of 3.5 cr, but he wears a g shock and drives a mahindra kuv 300
Wow just the hate I'm getting on this thread, and you guys like to portray yourselves as nice and supportive to youngsters. A few things to clarify, though I don't really owe any explanations to anyone.

When I say my parents are middle class, I don't mean some clerical government jobs - they are doctors in a non-metro town. They are financially comfortable, have their own house, and don't need me to send money home. But they are not rich that they can give me living expenses or take foreign holidays on a whim. I joined an NLU after working super hard so I don't have to live that scrimping and saving life.

Yes, it took me a year and a half to save up for my dream watch. That's because I don't live a difficult life just to save. I have peers who take public transport (or even shared cabs). I can't be coming to work at a T1 firm in some rickety Ola. I commute with a sedan cab by myself, so yes my expenses on that front are slightly higher. My cook only makes breakfast because I prefer to order lunch in, and dinner might be an outing or ordering in at least twice a week. Plus I like to splurge on holidays. I shifted to a nicer apartment complex because I wanted to stay in a happening place with similar ambitious neighbours.

I have peers who have more savings, but they don't live life to the full extent. I have nothing to apologise for. A lot of people trying to discourage seem to be highly well off, which is hypocrisy.

I work very hard, so I like to play hard. If that means an Omega that will elevate my life and status, then why not.
Just go for it, your money and you can spend it the way you want. If an Omega gives you happiness then get one. The technical inputs (which I think is what you were actually looking for) have already come in the first few comments. Everything else is just wannabes hating and moralising.

Also congratulations!
Supportive to youngsters does not mean that if you wish to do something foolhardy, people will still have to applaud you. At the end of the day, it's your money, so stop seeking validation from others on an anon forum about what to do with it. I will only give you one advice, consult a SEBI approved fee-only financial planner if you have got healthy cash inflow in your life. What you do with the money is still up to you.
Buddy, it's your money and you can do whatever you want. I think (emphasis being on this being my personal view) the problem is that your comments seem to look down upon people who don't splurge on similar things as you, and may have different priorities in life (family, kids, house loan, medical expenses etc.)... I assure you that you cannot tell how much money someone makes or what their standing is just on the basis of brands they use.

Anyway, enjoy the watch and hope you get the success you want. Cheers!
Arre bhai tujhe ghadi kharidna hai ye ghora kharidna hai toh Jake kharid le na. It is you who's being needy coming back to this thread time and again seeking validation. You asked, people opined, they are under no obligation to say what would make you happy. You seem to be really insecure and also seem to suffer from an inferiority complex (could be because you're from a non metro). Hence you keep harping on havibg to buying watches to elevate your "status" by drawing attention. Get a life and stop annoying
I am a bit of an illiterate on luxury watches. Full disclosure though, I have had my fair share of splurges on things I like. I had a question (so that I buy the right luxury watch - if that ever interests me) - isnt rolex the go to luxury watch if can spend in lacs? I judge my clients basis whether or not they are wearing a rolex.
You judge your clients on the basis of their watches??? Aren't they the ones who are actually paying you and don't you as a partner depend on them to keep your partner status?

Seems a bit funny from a general counsel perspective.
But the real collector is the one who will have the most simplest of watches with a rich history like Bulova Moonwatch, Khaki by Hamilton or the Murph from Hamilton. They are not luxury but have great history. Casio is universally loved by collectors.

In terms of luxury, yes Rolex, Patek, AP and the Dalai Lama Patek (pocket watch). But a collector will never buy it because it is luxury.

Speedmaster is a great watch (but too big on my wrist), but I fail to understand if someone likes speedmaster for its history why will they also not buy Bulova (600/700 dollars) and both these watches were on the moon. Fun fact - look at Bulova’s movement frequency doesn’t look like quartz (but it is quartz).
Why dont you consider buying "Rich Dad Poor Dad" first, and then decide if you still want to srping your savings on the Omega or likes?
Join r/watchesindia for great recommendations and watch knowledge. Highly recommend that you post this on the sub for suggestions/inputs from people who would actually give valuable feedback (instead of persuading you to desist from spending your own money lol)
After reading this long thread, really curious if you ended up buying, and if you did which one did you pick?
Yes, I got the Omega Speedmaster moonwatch. Picked it up from Ethos, just around 7L.

Loving it so far, turns heads. Colleagues/clients ask about it when they see it for the first time.
Have you seen any jealousy from colleagues/friends? When I got my first proper luxury watch, there were some who made snide remarks.
I would say start with the Rado Open Heart series, it's a good entry-level watch at 2L. And it's beautiful.
I am a partner at a tier 1 firm and a big time watch enthusiast.

My collection is Seiko Sports (Metal and Formal) for work use. It's automatic.

Casio F 91

Casio G shock 5600
A 11-word comment posted 6 months ago was not published.